30

• COLE •

This lesson is so boring.

     I don't know why I chose Science as an A-Level, but I wanna build a Time Machine and punch past-me in the face.

     I let out a sigh of relief when the bell rings, signalling the start of lunch time. I shove my things into my bag and rush out of the room, into the science work area.

     Louis—the guy Amalia caught me with—walks over with a smile as my two cousins: Mateo and Rowan join us. Kristen and Ashley join us a few moments later.

     I pull my phone out, adding to the conversation they start every couple seconds. I look up when I see a familiar grey backpack and Amalia's little face. She glances at me, beginning to pump her legs faster as she rushes past, her friend beside her, chatting away.

     I sigh and look back at my phone.

• AMALIA •

We eat lunch in the library. I spend most of the time working on my sketchbook, however I don't get a lot done.

When I hear the vibration of my phone, I pull it out and furrow my brows when I see Cole's name there.

COLE: U ok?

ME: Yes.

He leaves me on read, and, sure enough, a few moments later another text comes in from my dad.

DAD: Hi, baby. Everything going okay?

ME: Yeah.

DAD: What lesson do you have next?

ME: Dance.

DAD: Alright, have fun. Message me if you need me, or one of your brothers.

ME: Okay. I will.

Their concern is nice, but also a bit annoying.

When lunch comes to an end, Ollie and I go to the first floor, where the performing arts department is after saying goodbye to Gracie, Ezra, Mia and Liam.

"It's not as good as actual dance," Ollie tells me, "but it's still pretty fun. We get pulled out of class a lot. Sometimes we do shows. I think you'll like it, though. You'll probably be one of the best people in there."

I feel my cheeks go red at the compliment, sending him a grateful smile.

He leads me into a large room with wooden floors. A blonde, intimidating looking woman is standing at the front, next to a man with brown hair and an energetic demeanour.

"Miss Landon." Ollie says nervously. The woman looks over at us. She doesn't smile. "This is Amalia, she's new."

     She addresses me with a bored look. I try to shrink myself, suddenly feeling out of place.

     "Go into the girls changing room and get into your dance clothes. Did you buy the correct attire?"

     "She brought a hoodie and some leggings."

     She sighs. "Then I'm afraid you won't be able to do it. I like all the dancers to look together, neat and smart. Buy the correct clothes, and maybe you'll be able to take part next week. For now, you can just watch or do written work."

     I furrow my eyebrows. Ollie told me that the dance wear isn't that different from what I brought, so what's the problem?

     "She can't do it in what she brought?" Ollie asks. "It's basically the exact same thing, just with different logos."