27

• LORENZO •

I get a call and ten minutes to eight from Briana. I answer it immediately.

     "Lorenzo." She says. "I need you to come pick us up, we got a flat tire."

"Us? Who's with you?"

I hear her inhale of breath before she says: "Daniel."

"Are you fucking kidding me?" I exclaim.

Daniel—her asshole husband. I clench my fists at my sides as I try to compose myself. She's bringing that cunt into my house, where my daughter lives? What's worse is: she didn't even ask beforehand.

"Please, Lorenzo. Just let it go. It was two years ago." She pleads. "I'm coming to help your daughter. Not for you to get in a screaming match with my husband."

"Briana—"

"I know you don't like him, but please just try. He's changed."

I think of Amalia and how distressed she was last night, and realise that that is more important right now. I just need to not leave Amalia in the same room with Daniel and try to talk some sense into my sister if I get a chance alone with her.

"Fine. Text me where you are, I'll be there soon."

     She sounds relieved when she says: "great, thank you. I'll message you now."

     She hangs up, and a few seconds later she messages me her location. I sigh before leaving my study and getting into the car, shouting to Amalia, Elijah, Xander and Mason that I'll be back soon.

     I get into my car and drive to my younger sister.

I pull up to the side of the road. My little sister and her husband are standing by their broken down car as it's dragged away by a car service. She turns to me and smiles nervously. I keep my expression neutral as she walks over, Daniel a few paces behind her. Wisely, he doesn't come any closer.

     "Thanks for coming." She says, pulling open the passengers door as Daniel climbs into the back. He stays quiet. Good.

     She gets inside, and I wait for her to fasten her seatbelt before driving off. She looks at me a few times, but doesn't say anything on the drive back to my house.

I get out of the car quickly and walk over to the front door, unlocking it before stepping inside. Briana walks in behind me, her husband on her tail. I throw my keys into the bowl and walk into the kitchen, where Amalia is sitting at the counter with charcoal pencils scattered around and her eyes glued to her sketchbook.

"Amalia." I say quietly.

She turns around and smiles when she sees me, but it wavers when she sees the unfamiliar people behind me.

"Hi, baby." I say. She waves at me. My expression softens when I see the smudged led on her face, and I walk closer to her, wrapping my arm around her shoulders and pulling her toward me in a hug. Despite the heat today, she has a hoodie on, but I think it's to hide the bandages on her arms.

I kiss her forehead, then turn to my sister. "This is your Auntie Briana." I tell her. Amalia offers her a polite yet shy smile, her cheeks heating from holding all of the attention in the room. I rub her shoulder, and she leans onto me. Briana smiles back.

     "Hi, honey." She says. "Can I see what you're doing?" She asks.

Amalia nods tentatively. My sister smiles before stepping over to her, Daniel watching silently as she takes in what's on her page. I peer over her shoulder, surprise shooting through me at the work Amalia's done.