60

• XANDER •

"I'm fine." I reassure my dad as he goes to help me into the car. I slide into the passengers seat with ease, only finding a small burst of pain spreading through my abdomen as I twist to pull my seatbelt down over me.

     I lean back in my seat as he closes my door, then rounds the car to sit in the drivers spot. I lean back and pull my phone out of my pocket. We were at the hospital for an hour and a half due to all of the paperwork and tests I had to do. It was draining.

     But now I get to go home and see my baby sister.

"Come on, you need to get into bed." My dad tells me as he attempts to direct me toward my room.

"I need to see Amalia first." I say, walking shakily toward her bedroom. My dad doesn't say anything before following me. I knock on Amalia's door first, but then just walk in without waiting for a response.

     I don't think I'd get one anyway; Amalia and Mason are both asleep in the formers bed, and she's clinging onto him for dear life. I smile.

"Why don't I bring her to you when she's woken up?" My dad suggests from where he stands me behind me.

I frown but nod. I don't wanna wake her up when she's sleeping.

I leave the room quietly, closing the door behind me, and walk back to my room slowly. I push the door open and make my way to my bed, sitting down on the end of it and leaning back.

"Your Aunt is coming later for Amalia. She's gonna bring some stuff and convert her room into a mini hospital room." He tells me.

"Good luck convincing her to do that." I mumble. I scoot under my covers, thankful that my dad brought comfy clothes for me so I don't have to change before sleeping.

     "What do you mean?" He asks, furrowing his eyebrows.

     "She likes moving around. She's not going to want to stay in bed all day."

     He sighs, and is quiet for a moment as I adjust my pillow. Then he speaks: "I'll come check on you in a little bit."

"Yeah, whatever." I mumble, closing my eyes.

• AMALIA •

I wake up when someone begins to rub my back. I keep my eyes closed as I turn around, then tuck my head into a crook.

     "Amalia." Mason whispers.

     "She awake?" My dad asks.

     Reluctantly, I peel my eyes open. My older brother looks down at me with a soft expression. "Yeah." He answers.

     "Amalia." My dad says. I look over at him from where he sits beside me on my bed. "Hi, baby. Your Aunt Sadie's here."

     I rub my eyes. "Okay." I mumble, rolling away from Mason and wrapping my arms around my pillow.

     "You need to be awake, sweetheart." My dad whispers.

     "Says who?"

     He exhales before putting his hands under my arms and lifting me up into a sitting position. I groan as I shake my head, sliding back down until my head lands on my pillow.

     "Sweetheart, come on." My dad says.

     "Nooo." I whine. "I'm tired."

     He sighs. "Okay. I'll come back in half an hour, alright?"