47

• SOFIA •

When my husband walks back into our home, I expect to be angry. However, all I feel is sorrow.

He walks into the kitchen. Looks at me. "Can we talk?"

I nod immediately.

He sits down across from me. He exhales a large breath and glances up at me. "I understand that you got upset, Sofia, but you were in the wrong. Not me. You didn't think about what you letting people into our sons home could have done."

"I know." I say.

     "Mason and Amalia got hurt." He adds.

     My heart clenches. It was all my fault. I just wanted to try encourage my kids to get along, but now I realise that it wasn't my place. I should've just kept out of it. And because I didn't, my grand-babies got hurt.

     "I'm gonna keep seeing Amalia and the boys, and if Lorenzo doesn't want you to, then you have to respect that."

"I know." I say quietly.

     He nods. "Good."

     He walks out before I have the chance to say anything. For a moment I wonder wether he'll leave, but a surge of relief travels over me when I hear his footsteps on the stairs.

• AMALIA •

I wake up when it's still dark out. My dad is beside me, fast asleep, so I try to be careful as I climb out of his bed and over to the door. I leave Petal there, since I'm only going to be gone for a moment, and continue to walk down the hallway, then downstairs.

     I walk into the kitchen, pausing when I see Cole and Grayson there. They're fully dressed, and look tired, but also like they could stay awake for years.

     Cole is the first to notice me. He turns around from where he's sitting by the counter. Grayson follows his gaze, and his lips tilt up into a boyish grin when he sees me.

     "Hey, Amalia!" He exclaims. He walks over to me and, in one motion, lifts me up into his strong arms. I furrow my eyebrows as he twirls me around.

     "You can't do that, Gray." Cole says, words slurred. "She's not well." He whispers.

     He makes an oops face before setting me down on the counter. I wrap my arms around myself, and he reaches his hand up to squeeze my cheek. I scowl, and he laughs.

     "C'mere, cutie." He whispers, suddenly appearing sad.

     He wraps his arms around me and holds me in a hug. I awkwardly fold my arms around his waist and lean my head on his chest.

"Aw." He whispers, looking down at me.

I offer him a smile.

I look over his shoulder to see Cole looking at us, an emotion I can't name in his eyes. He looks away when he notices my gaze, then stands and walks out of the room.

     "Grayson." I whisper.

     "Hm?"

     "You reek."

     He laughs loudly, pulling back. He tilts his head. "That's not very nice."

     I scrunch my mouth to the side. "Did you go to a party?"

     He furrows his eyebrows. "Me? No. No. Nope, no, nope."

     I bite my bottom lip to keep from smiling. "You smell like adult drinks." I whisper the last two words, as though they're naughty. "Yucky." I mumble.