epilogue

• AMALIA •
• THREE WEEKS LATER •

I lurch awake, my breaths coming short and quick. I turn to my dad—who's bed I fell asleep in when we were watching a movie—and hold onto his hand. Even if he's not awake, it calms me down to know that he's here.

I inhale a startled breath when he squeezes my hand. I turn back around to see my father sitting up, concern and tiredness plastered onto his face.

     "What's the matter, baby?"

     "I had a bad dream." I say quietly, voice shaking.

     Even in the dark, I notice his eyes soften. "Are you okay?"

     I bite my nails with my free hand, nodding. He tilts his head. "Do you wanna see something?"

     "S-see what?"

     "It's downstairs in my study. Why don't we go down and I can make you some hot chocolate?" He suggests softly.

     "C-can it have marshmallows?" I ask.

     He smiles. "Of course it can, sweetheart." Not letting go of my hand, he climbs out of the bed. I follow him, staying one step behind as he leads me out of the room.

     When we get downstairs, my dad leaves me in his study, returning two minutes later with a mug of hot chocolate. He sits down on his chair, setting me on his lap before pulling a thick book out of his desk drawer.

     "What's that?" I ask.

     "It's a photo book from when you were little." He tells me. "I've been putting every picture I was able to find of you from when you were little in it. And I told myself that when you came back to us, when you were safe at home, I'd show it to you. And now I can." He says softly.

     I smile. "Can I open it."

     He passes it to me. Nervously, I turn the top, worn down by touch, revealing a yellowed page with pictures stuck on it. I bring it closer to my face so I can see them better as my dad rests his chin on the top of my head.

 I bring it closer to my face so I can see them better as my dad rests his chin on the top of my head

     I feel my father smile when I laugh.