31

• AMALIA •

Mason carries the bags to the car, even though I tried to help. He puts them into the boot as I climb into the back seat, setting Petal on my knee. We got her lots of nice stuff, and I think—hope—she'll like it.

     I stroke her back as Mason gets into the car. He doesn't say anything before pulling out of the car park.

I grin at Petal. She turns around, chasing her tail. I get my phone from my bedside table and begin videoing her as her tail wags. She runs over to the other side of the bed, then back, laying down.

I send it to Mason.

We got back from the shops about an hour and a half ago. Mason helped me to set everything up, so Petal now has a little corner next to my bed, where all her toys are.

     She goes to lay on the fluffy pink bed, which I set on my mattress so she can be close to me. She twirls around for a second before laying down, shutting her eyes. I pet her.

     There's a knock on my door, and after a moment Grayson walks into the room. He looks concerned. I furrow my eyebrows when Cole enters behind him.

     "Hey, Lia." The former says. He sits on my bed, but Cole stays standing. Petal wakes up and walks over to Grayson tiredly. He smiles and strokes her, but then she run backs to me and sits on mu lap. I scratch behind her tiny ear.

     I wave at him.

     "How come you went home early?" Cole asks.

I grab a piece of paper and a pen, writing; A TEACHER WAS BEING MEAN.

"Which one?" Grayson asks.

MISS LANDON.

"What did she do?" Grayson questions.

SHE MADE ME SIT OUTSIDE THE CLASS BY
MYSELF SINCE I DIDN'T HAVE THE RIGHT
OUTFIT FOR DANCE, THEN CALLED ME
STUPID AND IGNORANT.

"Does dad know?" Cole asks.

I nod. I gave him the piece of paper I wrote everything on when Petal, Mason and I got home from the shops since I had forgotten.

"Okay." Grayson says. "And are you okay?"

I nod again, sending him a smile to accentuate my point. He seems to relax a little bit. "Alright. Good. We'll see you later, then."

He stands up and begins to walk over to the door. Cole lingers, and he looks like he wants to say something, but seems to decide against it and follows his twin out of the room.

I slide my unicorn slippers on as Petal wags her tail. She picks up a toy, but I shake my head. We have to go down to dinner now, I try to convey to her, but she just keeps trying to play.

I sigh and play with her for a minute before gathering her up in my arms. I make my way out into the hallway and down the stairs, into the kitchen.