33

• AMALIA •

I fall asleep with my head leaning on my fathers chest, to the soft sound of inhales and exhales; when I wake up, I want to go back in time and make it stay yesterday forever.

     My dad is holding onto me tightly, one hand on the back of my head as he presses it to his shoulder. I wrap my arms around his waist and hold on tightly. A few moments later I hear his tired voice whisper, "Amalia? Are you awake, baby?"

I nod. He smiles and sits up, bringing me with him to sit me on his lap. Petal, on the other side of the bed, remains fast asleep as I continue to snuggle my dad. He kisses my forehead, so I lean up and kiss his cheek. I feel his grip tighten on me.

"Did you sleep okay?" He asks softly. I nod into his shoulder, playing with his hair as my eyes shut again, but I don't go back asleep. I can't.

     He only holds me for a few minutes, content. I lean my head on his chest. A couple more minutes pass by before he talks. "How about we get dressed and we can go get breakfast somewhere?" He suggests. Tiredly, I nod. He smiles. "Okay, sweetheart, come on." He stands up with me in his arms, then leans down to grab Petal, passing her to me before walking out of his room and toward mine. He opens the door and sets me on my bed. Petal snuggles into my lap.

"I'll come get you in a few minutes, and we can go." He tells me, kissing my cheek. I nod and set Petal down on her bed on the floor as he leaves the room.

Fifteen minutes later, once I'm dressed, I tentatively knock on Masons door. I hear a mumble that sounds like "what?" so I walk inside, Petal in my arms.

Mason is still in bed, shirtless and sleepy. He looks at me tiredly as I walk inside. I hold Petal out to him, and he glances at me grumpily. I don't think he's a morning person.

"You want me to look after her?" He asks, voice thick with exhaustion. I nod, smiling nervously. He leans over and takes her from me gently, setting her next to him on the mattress before laying back down properly.

"T-thanks." I whisper.

He looks up at me, eyebrows raised a little bit in surprise, before nodding. "It's fine." He says.

I smile at him and leave.

Breakfast with my dad in a small cafe passes quicker than I'd like, and I hold his hand for the entirety of the drive home, clinging to it like a lifeline and only letting go when he pulls up in front of the house. I climb out of the car quickly and follow him over to the front door, stepping inside after my dad unlocks it.

It's twelve. He has to leave in an hour. I take his hand again, pulling him into the living room. Elijah is already there, Petal on his lap. I furrow my eyebrows—where's Mason?

     Elijah looks up and smiles brightly. "Hi. Mason went to the shop, so he asked me to look after Petal."

     Oh. I smile back at him and walk over, taking Petal, who's tail is wagging excitedly, before walking over to the other couch that my dad is sitting on. I sit next to him, setting my puppy next to me.

     He wraps an arm around me. I frown as I scoot closer to him. I don't want him to go.

He kisses my forehead, rubbing circles on my upper arm. My throat begins to ache, and I look down at my lap to hide my glassy eyes.