37

• AMALIA •

The project takes two hours. I don't really talk, but I write a lot. I don't feel well, like I haven't all day, but I don't want to leave everyone to do it while I sit at home.

When we're done, I message my dad, give him Gracie's address and ask if he can come pick me up. He tells me he'll be here soon.

After ten minutes, both Liam and Adams parents come to pick them up. Gracie sits with me on the front step of her house, since it's too hot to sit inside—added with the fact that I'm sweating.

"At least we only have two days of school left. And Wednesday is a half day." She says, smiling. She rests her head on her knees and looks at the sky, which is a mix of blue and pink and orange.

She continues to talk, and I listen to her until my dads familiar car comes into view. We both stand, and she hugs me and tells me she'll text me later before I hoist my bag higher up my shoulders and walk over to the car. I open the passenger door and climb in, waving goodbye to Gracie.

"Hi, baby." My dad says, smiling.

"Hi."

His smile widens. "Did you have fun with your friends?" He asks.

I nod.

His smile fades a little bit as he tilts his head. "Are you feeling alright? You don't look well, sweetheart."

He begins to drive down the road as I nod again. He doesn't look convinced.

"Are you sure?" He asks.

     I nod again, this time quicker. I'm fine. I try to convey. Stop asking please.

     Thankfully, he doesn't fuss over me for the rest of the car ride home, and I put my earphones in to listen to music. When he pulls into the driveway, I take my seatbelt off and climb out of the car. He walks over to the front door and unlocks it before stepping aside, letting me go in first and then walking in behind me.

I make my way into the living room, changing the song on my phone as I drop down onto the couch. I wrap my arms around my waist and only look up when a small tongue licks my arm. I smile and lift Petal up onto my lap, kissing her little head.

I look over to Elijah, who smiles at me. I smile back.

I glance away and close my eyes, letting out a small breath. My head hurts.

Half an hour of watching TV as my music plays as a background noise, my dad walks into the living room. He smiles at me.

"Do you wanna maybe take a nap, sweetheart?" He asks. I can only barely hear him over the sound of Cardigan by Taylor Swift, but I nod. "Okay, come on. You can get changed."

     I follow him out of the living room after sending a polite smile to Elijah, Petal in my arms. He leads me up the stairs and towards my bedroom, opening the door for me.

     "I'll wake you up when dinners ready, alright?"

     "Okay." I whisper. He kisses my cheek and hugs me, strong arms wrapped around me like a barrier, before pulling back, leaving me cold. He leaves the room, and I quickly change into my pyjamas before setting Petal in her dog bed and laying down on my mattress, on top of the duvet. I pull a thin blanket over me and shut my eyes, but it takes me a while to fall asleep, my brain wracked with memories I'd rather forget.

"Hi, honey." My mother says as I sit next to her on the couch. She brings a hand up to my face and brushes a strand of hair behind my ear. I smile. "Did you have a good day at school?"

"Yeah." I reply. "We had an extra twenty minutes of lunch since Mrs Campbell had to go to a meeting."

I don't tell her I had no one to play with. My mum has been tired lately, so I don't want to worry her.

Her lips tilt up. "Yeah? That sounds fun."

"It was." I lie, like I didn't sit by myself on the bench all lunchtime, eating my lunch from my bag since one of my classmates threw my lunchbox in the bin last week. I don't want to ask for a new one.

My stepdad walks in at that moment. My mother sets a hand on the back of my neck, scratching lightly. I lean into her touch, liking the way it feels.

My step father looks at us and sighs softly before dropping down onto the other couch.

I find myself scratching the back of my own neck lightly, trying to cling of whatever memory I have left of my mum. It's not the same, though. It's not her hand. She isn't here; she's never going to be here again.

I let out a shaky breath and pull my hand away, turning over. I close my eyes and force myself to sleep.

• LORENZO •

I open Amalia's door carefully. She's curled up in bed under a blanket, her little head poking out the top. I smile softly as I walk over to her, keeping my steps light.

I sit down beside her, making the mattress dip.

"Amalia." I whisper. "Dinner's ready, sweetheart." I add, beginning to rub her back. She stirs, but doesn't wake up. I tilt my head as I get a better look at her.

She's as white as a ghost.

"Amalia?" I say, voice laced with panic. She opens her eyes weakly, and immediately tears form in them. I feel her forehead, and it's on fire. I immediately wrap a thicker blanket around her and lift her up into my arms. She groans, clenching her eyes shut. I stand up, carrying her with me, and rush out of the room. She leans her head on my shoulder, and I kiss her cheek, hugging her to me tightly. "It's okay, baby, let's get you to the hospital and we can find out what's wrong, yeah? We'll fix whatever it is."

She groans once again in response.

"It's okay." I whisper, unlocking the front door.

     "Dad?"

     I turn around to see Xander standing there, a confused expression on his face. "What's going on?"

     "I'm taking Amalia to the hospital to find out what's wrong with her. She's really pale." I look down at my little girl—her lips are lost of their colour.

     "Can I come?" He asks.

     I nod. I need someone to hold her in the car, since I'll be driving. He lets out a small sigh that has relief sewn into it before following me out of the door. He gets into the passengers seat, and I peel Amalia off of me and set her onto his lap. He takes her gently, wrapping his arms protectively around his younger sister. I close the door and quickly get into the drivers seat, speeding out of the driveway and onto the road.