32

• XANDER •

I fucking hate that stupid dog.

• AMALIA •

My dad comes out after half an hour. I'm wiping the desk in my greenhouse down with a wipe when he opens the door, a small smile on his face as he steps inside.

     "Hi, baby. I'm sorry about that." He says quietly. My eyes water. While I was working on growing flowers and plants, I forgot he was leaving. But now I remember again, when that is the last thing I want to do. "Are you okay?"

     I nod as I press a label onto one of the plant pots. PETUNIA.

"Are you sure?" He asks.

I nod again, keeping my eyes glued to what I'm doing. I glance at Petal, asleep on the chair, before getting back to organising seeds.

"Okay." His smile brightens. "Good. Do you wanna come in soon and start getting ready for bed?"

     I shrug. In the reflection of the glass in front of me, I see him tilt his head. "Alright. Do you want me to go inside?"

     I shrug again.

     He sighs softly. "Amalia," he says, "if you're upset, I want you to tell me. I can try help you."

     I shake my head, setting my notebook into the compartment I made for it. He stands and watches me for a few more seconds before speaking again.

"I'm proud of you." He says. I furrow my eyebrows, but don't look at him. "For talking over the past few days. I wanted you to know that." He adds swiftly. Softly.

I give him a thumbs up and walk over to Petal, scooping her up off the chair.

"Are you going back inside?"

I nod, opening the greenhouse door before walking back over to the house. I don't wait for him as I rush back inside, past Mason and Xander, who only look at me as I power-walk.

I knew I shouldn't have gotten attached. What if he doesn't come back? What if, on his trip, he realises how nice a life free of me is, and decides not to return?

I make my way up to my room quickly.

The next morning, once I've woken up and eaten breakfast, my dad drives Cole, Grayson and I to school. The former walks me to form like he has every morning so far, and the remainder of the day goes smoothly. I stay at the back of the class for most lessons, with Gracie or Adam, and nobody cares that I'm here—which is good.

When the bell signalling it's the end of the day rings, my phone dings with a text. I pull it out of my pocket as I begin to walk downstairs.

DAD: I won't be able to pick you up today, sweetheart. Grayson and Cole have football practice, so could you go to the football pitch outside and wait for them to be done?

A moment later, a message from Cole comes through.

COLE: Come 2 football pitch.