Handwriting

Heart to Heart - Mac Demarco

Hudson Jones stood there a smile threatening to leave his face seeing his dream girl right next to him. He could smell the sweet vanilla scent her perfume wore off. He could see the long dark strands of hair trailing down her back. He saw the little bumps on her forehead, Chloe had tried so desperately to hide. He didn't mind. He thought she was so effortlessly beautiful like a piece of art in a mesum.

He was completely distracted by her presence. It was so unfamiliar to him. Sure girls had liked him before, he had dated girls before, but he questioned himself constantly if he really liked them. But with Chloe there was never a doubt, which says a lot considering he's never spoken to her. He's liked her since the first time he landed eyes on her. 

Two years ago, she sat next to him the first day of school. Nobody else sat next to him he was the only person alone when an angel had come in and taken a seat right next to him. She had smiled at him and started drawing flowers on her hand. It seems she had forgotten about her small gesture. But to Hudson, it was something he could never forget. She didn't even talk or look at him, she just sat there. Since that day he'd try and find out every little detail about her and he always attempted to talk to her, but he was always to nervous.

Meanwhile, Chloe was more than upset about her desk switch, but even more upset about her detention. Hudson may be used to detentions but to Chloe, this was not like her at all and she was beyond aware of it. What would her parents say? They'd probably joke about it, but nobody knew how much it meant to her. 

Mr Vance began handing out worksheets to finish for homework 10 minutes before the lesson ended, Chloe had finished hers 5 minutes after receiving it. She started drawing the flowers she loved so dearly on her hands. It's a habit she'd always done. Her sheet was decorated in her blue ink.

"How do you do question 7?" A faint voice was heard next to her. Chloe turned her head slowly to face a confused Hudson. The moment they made eye contact Chloe began to get nervous.

Hudson sat in his seat looking at the girl he'd always wanted to speak to as she turned away from him.

She chose to ignore him. Hudson struggling wasn't her problem. She thought that he'd take the hint and leave her alone but it only made Hudson more determined to get her to talk to him.

"Someone's in a mood." Hudson said to himself loud enough for Chloe to hear desperate for her attention. She once again chose to ignore him. Instead of accepting his defeat he chose to continue annoying her.

Hudson tapped her shoulder.

"Look over there." He instructed in an enthusiastic voice. Chloe's head automatically turned to see nothing but as her head turned back she saw Hudson grabbing her completed worksheet.

"Hey!" she said trying to snatch it back but failed as he held it above his head looking through he answers. She began reaching over trying to get her worksheet.

"Relax I'm just checking my answers." Hudson said. He looked over at Chloe and saw how angry she looked. He realized he messed up, he should've charmed her before class, maybe complimented her but making her hate him? I guess there's no turning back.

"Give it back before I tell Mr Vance." Chloe threatened.

Mr Vance didn't scare Hudson but Chole hating him did, he slowly returned her worksheet, carefully noticing her handwriting, the delicate small letters written in fancy cursive. He couldn't read cursive but he was prepared to learn how to.

"You have nice handwriting." Hudson said, shocked by his own words. Yes, he had thought it but he wasn't prepared to say it out loud.

"Thanks." Chloe whispered looking down, part of her shocked by his compliment. She did not expect Hudson to compliment her.

Just on time the bell had rung, and everyone started to leave . Chloe began packing away as quickly as she could. She packed up so quick she dropped a pen unnoticed. Before Hudson could even pick it up she was gone.

This was his chance.