Eye Contact

Kingston - Faye Webster

Chloe Walsh was beyond stressed, she had a math exam coming up and she could eat, sleep or breathe without thinking of it. Hudson was the complete opposite, he didn't care for the exam. Well of course he cared, but Chloe was what was occupying his mind.

Except today Hudson didn't get to talk to her in math, she was overly focused in her studies. He spent the entire lesson watching her work, her pen running out of ink multiple times. He watched her run her hands through her hair and pick at her fingernails.

He'd never seen someone so caring towards anything. He had also never seen someone so doubtful of themselves, and someone so oblivious to how intelligent they were. She acted as if needed to get an A to live, she had so much self doubt in herself.

If she thinks she needs to work harder, what does she think of me? Hudson thought.

When the bell rung Hudson found himself disappointed in himself. He could've talked to her that lesson but instead he just watched her stress over an equation.

He began walking to the cafeteria still upset that he never talked to Chloe. That's when he saw her sat alone. Completely away from all her friends.

He began walking up to her. He couldn't stop his feet he just kept on going.

"Hey Chloe." Hudson greeted as she looked up with sad eyes.

"Oh hi." She replied, her usual sunshine seemed dimmed.

"Are you okay?" Hudson asked genuinely.

"I will be." Chloe said quietly.

"Why aren't you sitting with your friends?" Hudson asked concerned.

"Oh I just wanted to be somewhere quiet."

"Oh I'm sorry I didn't mean to disturb you."

"Oh no, not at all, you can keep sitting, if you want." Secretly Chloe hoped he accepted her offer. The real reason she wanted to sit alone was because they were all talking about their new boyfriends, new make up, new jewelry. Chole didn't have any of that. She had to work for her money which she couldn't even spend since she was saving up for a car, and her parents made her pay rent.

"Sure." Hudson agreed, trying to act nonchalant but secretly his heart was pounding against his chest.

"So, got any weekend plans?" Hudson attempted to start a conversation.

"Just work." She replied taking a bit out of her sandwich.

"Oh cool." He said.

"What about you?" she questioned.

"Oh I was going to help my dad fix his car."

"Oh really?"

"Yeah its kind of interesting."

"I'm saving up for a car." Chloe added.

"Oh cool, which one?"

"A Porsche."

"What?" Hudson asked shocked.

"I'm kidding. I think i'll just get whatever I can find, as long as it can drive I'm okay." She added.

"You got me for a second." He joked.

"Hey Hudson." Chloe and Hudson turned to see Brent at Hudson usual table calling him over.

"You can go if you want." Chloe told him.

"Oh I-" Hudson started.

"No it's okay really I was gonna go back to my friends anyways." She said. She wasn't really but she didn't want to be a bother, especially to Hudson. He was always so kind to her and she would hate to be a burden.

"Oh okay, um see you around." Hudson said grabbing his things walking away.

Chloe also grabbed her things and started walking away back to her friends. When she sat down it was like no one even noticed she was gone. She spent rest of lunch eating and looking back up to where Hudson was sitting, most times she looked to see him looking back at her. He'd turn away immediately, she found it weird how he'd continue to stare at her but refuse to make eye contact for more then serval seconds.

Why does he do that? Chloe thought.

If only she knew.