Training

Baelon's Apartments, Maegor's Holdfast

84 AC

"Is something wrong, Ser Ryam?" Baelon inquired.

"The Princess attempted to join in on the training, today my princess." Ryam said, gesturing to Rhaena, the three year old wearing breeches and a shirt.

"Visenya wielded Dark Sister! Why can't I?" Rhaena protested.

"Ser Ryam, thank you for informing me, you may leave. Rhaena, stay." the Spring Prince said. He pulled his daughter into his arms.

"Rhae, I'm fine with you learning how to fight. You should have told me however." Baelon said in High Valyrian.

"But the ladies in the court say women can't fight." Rhaena sulked.

"Andal women, Rhaena." Baelon smiled. "But Valyrian women were allowed to train with men, and they were Generals, High Generals, and Dragonlords as well. The Valyrians were like the Rhoynar, men and women were equal in their eyes."

"Can I fight then? Like Visenya?" the princess asked excitedly.

"Of course, but let me show you something." Baelon said.

He got up, still holding her, and quickly unlocked a door. He pressed a brick and a secret door was revealed.

Twin Valyrian steel swords were sheathed on the wall, both built for a women's hands. Runes and glyphs decorated the pommel and marched down the center of the blades.

"These are Red Dawn and Silver Blood, the swords of Queen Rhaenys. They were designed by her herself. Your mother and I were going to give them to you later, but you deserve to know. I saw that you're ambidextrous, so these will suit you well."

"How did you find them?" Rhaena asked, reaching her little hand for Red Dawn.

"I asked Vhagar to take me to the lost Targaryen vault. We found loads of treasure, and I'll show you and your brothers the vault someday." Baelon smiled.

The next day, when Rhaena showed up again at the training yard, Jaehaerys personally escorted her there and decreed that Rhaena would be allowed to join in whenever she wanted.

Ryam was skeptical, but once he saw the potential the little princess had he didn't bat an eye. Jonquil Darke, Alysanne's sworn shield, was her personal tutor.

Of course, the Ladies of the Court were scandalized, and many offered to step in and take care of her.

Baelon refused. 

Rhaena was like her mother, like Queen Visenya, an unstoppable whirlwind unable to be tamed.

That is today's chapter. I hope you all enjoyed it!