Passed Over

The Red Keep, King's Landing

Late 92 AC

With Aemon dead, there was a succession crisis. 

For the now dead Prince of Dragonstone had only one child, Princess Rhaenys who was pregnant with her unborn child, and no son.

The court predicted that Rhaenys would be chosen, while the other half bet on Baelon. For it had been the Spring Prince, they pointed out, who had avenged Aemon.

Rhaena had rebuked a snobby Reachman who had said this, claiming Rhaenys was unfit to be Queen Regnant, that Rhaenys was pregnant and do you expect a pregnant women, who was seventh months into her pregnancy, to get on dragon back and enter battle.

That shut up most of the people, and the Stormlander courtiers were extra nice to her now.

In the end, the court was summoned the Iron Throne Room. Jaehaerys sat on the Iron Throne, gaunt and sad, while Alysanne stood next to the Iron Throne grief stricken with haunted eyes.

Now she had outlived Aegon, Daenerys, Alyssa, Daella, Viserra, Gaemon, and Valerion. Seven of her thirteen children, dead and gone.

"With the death of my son and heir, Prince Aemon, I have come to my desicion to select my heir." Jaehaerys announced grimly. "My second son, Baelon, is the new Prince of Dragonstone."

Baelon looked shocked, Alysanne stunned, but Rhaenys was livid.

"You deny me and my children my birthright to the Iron Throne?" she hissed. 

"Baelon is my son—"

"Your third son! I am the eldest child of your oldest surviving son! By the inheritance laws of Valyria, I am the heir!" she yelled.

"And I chose Baelon! He is the heir the Iron Throne needs! And I am the third son too, Princess Rhaenys. Do not forget that!" Jaehaerys barked.

"Rhaenys—" Baelon started.

"Sooner or later there will be an inheritance issue with only a girl as the heir, the sooner we deal with that means the smoother out of the inheritance!" Rhaenys pointed out. "By all rights, the first Rhaena should have been chosen, or Princess Aerea queen as the eldest child of the eldest son!"

"GET OUT!" Jaehaerys roared.

Rhaenys proceeded to flip off Jaehaerys, stunning the King, and stormed out. Corlys threw his pin designating him as Master of Ships to the ground and followed his wife, the rest of House Velaryon following.

"The Conformation of 92 AC set in stone the now rival branches of Aemon and Baelon, to the Spring Prince's own dismay. However, his younger children would play vital parts in reuniting the two branches." — excerpt from Maester Vaegon's House of the Dragon: 1 AC to 100 AC.

That is today's chapter. I hope you all enjoy dit!