The Tourney

Royal Box, Tourney Stadium

112 AC

Rhaena entered the royal box, garbed in a blood red gown of Myrish silk that left her shoulders and collarbones bear with her hair in a single long braid.

The Small Council was already there, along with Lord Corlys and Rhaenys. The two cousins shared a brief smile before Rhaena sat down beside her brother.

Shaera was already there, wearing a violet dress that matched her eyes that had white lace filigree decorating the bodice. Daeron sat next to her in a red and black doublet, black pants, and black boots, a seat at his side clearly meant for Rhaenyra.

Aerion and Aerea sat next to each other. Aerea wore a red and gold gown while Aerion wore a doublet of red and gold, with black pants and black boots.

Baela and Daenora were too young to attend the tourney.

Soon after Rhaena sat down, Rhaenyra rushed in. "Did I miss anything?" she asked Daeron in High Valyrian.

"Nothing yet." Daeron answered and the joust began five seconds after he spoke.

Rhaena watched in boredom, until a new knight caught her eye.

"A mystery knight?" Shaera asked in excitement.

"No, a Cole form the Stormlands." Rhaenys corrected.

"I've never heard of House Cole." Alicent said thoughtfully.

"They are a very minor house who mainly deal in coal mining." Rhaena added.

Boremund asked for Rhaenys's favor, calling her the Queen Who Never Was before riding off.

"Lore Stokeworth's daughter is promised to the young Tarly squire." Rhaenyra said.

"Lord Massey's son?" Alicent said in disbelief.

"They're going to be married once he gets his knighthood." Shaera added.

"Then he should hurry." Rhaena said casually. "Lady Elinor is hiding a swollen belly under her dress."

The three girls turned to look at her in disbelief. "How did you know?"

"I'm the Mistress of Whispers. It's my job to know everyone's business." the Mistress of Whispers smiled.

"What's his name?" Rhaenyra asked when the Cole Knight knocked Lord Boremund off his horse.

"Criston Cole." Rhaena answered. "He's common born of Dornish descent, his father is Lord Dondarrion's steward."

Soon, her husband rode into the tourney on a black stallion. He chose Gawyne as his first opponent and defeated the knight, though he knocked the horse's legs from out under it.

With an eye roll, Rhaena walked over to the edge when her husband rode up. "That wasn't fair husband."

"All is fair in love and war." Daemon chirped. "Now, Shaera, can I have my daughter's favor?"

"Yes Kepa." Shaera smiled, handing the favor she had made to her father.

The tourney went on, and Rhaena frowned as Viserys was lead out of the box. Soon Criston and Daemon were up against each other.

The two jousted before her husband, of course, challenged the man to a melee duel.

"Kepa is being an idiot." Daeron groaned.

The fight was intense but short, with Criston Cole winning. The knight took off his helmet, shyly approaching the royal booth.

"May I have Princess Rhaena's favor?" he inquired, looking up at the Princess of Dragonfire hopefully.

The entire stadium went silent. It was a great insult to ask for the favor of the wife of a man you just defeated.

"I must decline, Ser Criston. I forgot to make a favor today." Rhaena lied. She had her favor in her lap but she was not going to give it to this knight.

Criston nodded, looking deflated and defeated.

All the Targaryens inhaled sharply went Dreamfyre's roar of grief went through the city.

"Mama." the Realm's Delight whispered in horror.

That is today's chapter. I hope you all enjoyed it!