First grandchild

Dragonstone Castle, Dragonstone Island

Early 114 AC, fourth day of the fifth moon

Once Rhaenyra had announced her pregnancy, she had retreated to Dragonstone on the third moon of her pregnancy. So far, unlike her mother, she had made it through perfectly alive and healthy.

This had to contribute to being under Rhaena's hawk like supervision, being giving elixirs and tonics to purge any potential poisons or drugs from her system. The cabal of midwives on Dragonstone constantly attended to her, to ensure the royal mother and babe would live.

The midwives were assisted by Maester Gerardys and Maester Thomas, both of whom were from Dragonstone families that produced midwives. The group had been given strict orders by Daeron that if it came down to Rhaenyra or the child, they would save Rhaenyra.

And on Rhaenyra's due date, the fourth day of the fifth moon, the babe decided it would come into the world.

Daemon would not be able to make it, the man had left with Corlys and a massive fleet, army, and stock of wildfire to claim the Stepstones.

"You are doing so well, Nyra." Daeron whispered, holding his wife's hand. Rhaenyra had all but screamed that Daeron would go through it with her: they had started it together, they would end it together.

"Almost done, Rhaenyra." the Mistress of Whispers added.

Ten minutes later, Catarina gave the green light.

"One more big push, and then the afterbirth." the head midwife said. Her hair was more gray than brown, but she still had a firm authority in her face.

With a scream, Syrax's roar echoing in tune with her rider, the babe entered the world with a massive scream.

Daeron left his wife's side to check on their child, but Rhaena stayed. 

"My baby?" the Crown Princess whimpered, shuddering and groaning as she pushed the afterbirth out.

"Alive." Rhaena said, using her magic to feeling the spark of life in her grandchildren alive and well.

"A girl." Maester Gerardys announced. "A Queen after our future Queen."

"Another Realm's Delight." one of the younger midwives agreed.

Daeron came back, the little girl swaddled in soft red cloth. She was given to Rhaenyra, and began to nurse.

"What is my granddaughter's name?" the silver-white haired princess asked.

"Jaehaera." Rhaenyra.

"Jaehaera." Rhaena repeated, nodding. She would have offered Alysanne or Baela for the Good Queen and the Spring Prince as potential names, but she didn't speak up.

You only got to name your firstborn once.

That is today's chapter. I hope you all enjoyed it.