47

Elsie had never felt fear when being in a car before. She actually always quite liked car rides. She usually liked to look out the window and watch the scenery go by. That was until now. "When was the last time you were behind the wheel of a car?!" She exclaimed while gripping onto the seat. She was sitting in the back with Logan, wide eyed and suddenly fearful of her safety. Please don't let me get freedom only to die in a car accident because of Charles's bad driving! She prayed and even clasped her hands together.

"I don't think things have got that bad yet." Logan commented dryly while she cracked open an eye and looked over her sunglasses frame at him. They both got suddenly jolted and swerved sideward before looking from the front to each other. "I take it back..."

"What are you two complaining about?" Charles asked while looking in the rearview mirror at them.

"Your dodgy driving!"

"There's nothing wrong with my driving," Charles retorted to Elsie while overtaking a slow driver.

"Er...you're clearly exceeding the speed limit."

"From what I remember, you were quite an aggressive driver, love." Charles said while pointing a finger back at her.

"Ten and two! Ten and two, for pity's sake, Charles!" Elsie clasped her hands to her cheeks in despair. Not only was he speeding, but he was also ignoring basic driving knowhow.

He laughed, and Elsie narrowed her eyes, "We're fine."

"You wouldn't be saying that if you were back here." Logan said darkly while holding onto the door handle as another sharp turn was taken.

"Oh look, if you two will keep on I'll turn this car around and take you back." Charles smugly said while they quietened down in the back. "Thank you."

"You wouldn't get far without us, just saying." Elsie muttered and slouched in the chair with a despondent look and firmly crossed arms. With a sigh she looked at Logan. "I don't suppose your Charles mentioned that our Charles was such a maniac behind the wheel, huh?"

"I'm not a maniac."

"Yet you feel like you should state this?" Elsie smirked and leaned forwards. She rested her hands against the back of his seat and looked over his shoulder at the windscreen, and at the speeding street before it.

"Well...I can't have you telling lies about my character, can I?" He smirked and looked to the side at her.

"Eyes on the road, Charles." Elsie smiled and slunk back into her chair.

Logan mused over their little moment and her earlier question. "There were a few things the Charles I know didn't mention before sending me back here." Lack of powers, slight alcoholism, a hesitance to socialise at first glance...oh yeah, a few things and then some had been missed out. But considering the time he was sent back, Logan couldn't have been given a lowdown on his past behaviour. 

Elsie thought over this before nodding slowly. She didn't know what else to say so she took to looking outside the window again. She guessed like many people, the future Charles would keep things to himself and not divulge information to Logan. Considering how the present was playing out, and even the past, Elsie could figure why he'd stay silent. Some things just didn't need to be shared, perhaps. 

"Here, here, here!" Logan exclaimed suddenly. He jumped up in his seat and pointed through the gap between the driver and passenger seats.

"Where?" All around them were quaint looking suburban houses. White fences, trimmed green grass, flower beds and hedges. A few trees were dotted here and there, but for the most part all the houses looked the same. As far as saying 'here' three times went, it still didn't help Charles to actually see where 'here' was.