episode three

EPISODE 03

"marriage?"

"yes, mom."

"kya! about time!" mrs. rias excitedly said. "do you need any of my help? venue? flowers? party favors? gasp! gown?! i'll help, i'll help!"

"uh..." mysta mumbled before turning to his fiancee.

"i don't want to break her heart, wife. i'm her only son and telling her that we're not getting a proper wedding that only happens once in a lifetime..."

"no, i'll take care of everything." y/n calmly said to the older lady. "in exchange, please let mysta take my surname instead."

"what?" mrs. rias' shoulders fell.

y/n glanced at mysta as their intertwined fingers tightened their hold under the table.

"mom, i want to take y/n's surname."

"what? why?" mrs. rias asked. her tone was mixed with confusion, worry, and disdain. "this is actually the first time i heard a male taking up the female's surname and giving up their own. why the hell would you not want to continue the rias' bloodline?"

"mom, it's not about the bloodline. we're still giving you a grandchild." mysta boldly said, making y/n blush a little.

"it's about the surname, mom. the surname. i never liked the surname."

mysta continued. "mom, her family name was more important to her than my name was to me. my father has never even become a part of my life, so why the hell would i share my beloved something from him?" mysta said in pure resentment.

"y/n is the only stroude too. her family personally asked us too if i could take y/n's surname after the wedding." mysta said. "they said they'll do everything we want regarding the wedding and we can even plan the honeymoon on our own, just let me take her surname, mom."

"is that really the reason? or is there more?" mrs. rias asked.

his mother had always been full ears on him. mysta was the one who took the both of them out of poverty, after all. mysta took care of her in the times her past husband couldn't.

in fact, she should be indebted to her son. mysta did so many sacrifices for her as much as she did for him.

mysta bit his lower lip before looking at his mother straight in the eyes. without wavering, he said,

"i love y/n more than anyone could imagine! i want people to know that i am under her mercy!"

"ow!" mysta complained after his mom smacked him.

"you little shit! and you're proud?!" mrs. rias exclaimed and kept smacking mysta with her slipper.

mysta and y/n were laughing as mrs. rias continued. maybe it was to cover up the fact that she couldn't help but cry.

she's so proud of her son.

she knew he wouldn't turn out to be like his dad.

mysta would never hurt a woman, let alone his own.

"fine, take her surname as long as the two of you will get married, don't care." mrs. rias said.

"thank you so much." y/n said and bowed in her seat.

up until now, mrs. rias can't still move on from how pretty y/n's smile is.

"son, you're so lucky. how did you even get a beautiful woman like y/n?"

"why the hell do you keep asking me that whenever we visit, mom?!"

"is mysta really your final choice, ija? there's a lot of better men there."