23

• AMALIA •

Saturday passes too quickly for my liking, and by the time it's Sunday I'm terrified.

     My first day of school is tomorrow.

Elijah comes into my room at one o'clock with a bag of school supplies for me—including a backpack and pencil case, even though I already have them. But his are better, while mine are old and torn up. He also got me pens, highlighters and more things that I'll need.

"Do you need help with anything?" He asks.

I shake my head.

He smiles. "Alright." He wraps an arm around me, pulling me into a side hug, and I gladly hug him back. "I'll see you soon."

I wave at him before he leaves.

And then I break down, running over to my bed and stuffing my face into the pillow in order to muffle my sobs. Memories of my old school flood back in my mind like a dam being opened.

My eyes water as I try to grab my bag from Angelina. She laughs as she throws it to her friend, who tosses it to another girl.

     "Do you want your bag back, freak?" Josie asks, a grin playing on her face.

     I nod.

     She suddenly unzips it and pours all of my things out onto the floor, then drops my pink backpack next to it.

     "Come get it then." She says.

     I quickly walk over and crouch down, beginning to open my bag wider and shove everything back inside, but then Josie kicks my back, making me fall flat on my stomach.

     Angelina and the other girl—I think her name is Susie—laugh loudly.

     "Come on," Josie says, "I don't wanna catch a disease from this freak!"

     I sniffle and wipe my tears as they leave, giggling. I pick up my plastic bag that has my lunch in it, looking inside to find that it's all squashed.

     I sob as I stand, dropping the bag into the bin before returning to my things, shoving all of my stuff into the backpack hastily.

     I don't know what I did to deserve this.

     I sit up and wipe my tears quickly. It'll be different this time. My brothers will be there, and my dad will listen to me if something's wrong.

     I hope.

• LORENZO •

I'm about to shoot someone in the back of the head when my phone dings with a notification.

     I grab my phone out of my pocket and smile when I see Amalia's name.

     AMALIA: I got my school things ready :)

     ME: Good job baby. I'll be home soon.

     AMALIA: Okay.

     I slide my phone into my back pocket again and return my gaze to the squirming man in front of me. I suddenly feel compassion for him—what if he has a daughter at home who's getting her little backpack ready for her first day of school tomorrow?