Chapter Forty-Six

The night seemed to hold its breath as an air of mystery enveloped the balcony, shrouding it in ominous silence. Rakesh's mind whirled with thousands of questions, adding more layers of intrigue to the unfolding scenario each time. His imagination began to spin elaborate webs of possibilities, the best, the worst, and even the weirdest outcomes. Yet, amidst the whirlwind of thoughts, he made up his mind to confront the enigmatic woman who had invited him here.

As he mustered the courage to break the silence, Kavitha's gaze remained averted, her delicate fingers nervously toying with the end of her saree pallu. The tension in the air was palpable as if both were tiptoeing on the edge of an unknown precipice. Rakesh, now donning a demeanour of seriousness, broke the lingering silence. His voice carried an air of assurance as if he were a bastion of trustworthiness.

"Well... What about them? What do you want to ask?" Rakesh probed gently, providing her a safe space to confide her deepest concerns. Slowly, the woman raised her eyes to meet his, finding a sense of reassurance in his sincere expression. She bit her lip, revealing her anxiety about broaching the subject.

"Hey, you can tell me anything. I am Prabhas's brother, but I can assure you that whatever you're about to say will remain between us. I won't tell him. I swear. You can trust me," Rakesh's voice enveloped her with comfort, like a soothing balm, easing the knots of her unease.

Kavitha's heart found solace in his comforting tone, and she slowly revealed her innermost thoughts. "Sorry! It's not that I don't trust you; it's just that I don't know where to start or how to ask. I am Sweety's friend. I have known Prabhas since college, and I am well aware of how close they used to be."

"I think you already know whatever happened between them." Rakesh nodded, his knowing expression indicating his understanding of the depth of their past. He had an inkling of what she was about to share, yet he patiently listened, encouraging her to continue.

"A lot of things have happened in the past few days. I had always known that Sweety loved Prabhas, even during our college days. I always thought it was one-sided, but it turned out Prabhas also loved her back. But things went out of hand even before anyone could think. Fate brought them together once again and it was a disaster this time as they both fell in love with each other once again, but Sweety is already engaged to Rahul." Her words carried a tinge of melancholy, and Rakesh mirrored her sadness, leaning against the balcony wall with folded arms, his gaze heavy with sorrow.

"Rahul loves Sweety a lot. I am pretty sure he will do his best to make her the happiest woman on earth. He will shower her with love and care and cherish her for the rest of his life" Kavitha continued, causing Rakesh's face to harden, and his hatred for Rahul intensified. Rakesh wrestled with the demon of hatred, battling against its malevolent grasp. How he yearned to reclaim what was lost, to dismantle the wall that stood between Prabhas and the woman he cherished.

"But" she interjected, his face puzzled as he looked up at her, urging her to explain further.

"I wonder whether Sweety can replicate the love back. I wonder whether she can ever be happy when she has someone else in her heart." Kavitha confessed, her eyes searching for answers in the night sky.

Kavitha voiced her concerns about Sweety's happiness, pondering if she could ever return the love Rahul offered. The woman's vulnerability touched Rakesh's heart, and he empathized deeply with her worries.

"I know Rahul will do his best but what if he fails? What if sweety can never love him back as much he does?" she confided, her voice wavering with emotion.

"I don't want her to risk her life in a one-sided relationship where she can't be genuinely happy. I don't want her to marry someone else when she has another man in her heart. Not being able to be faithful to herself or her husband is the worst feeling any woman would experience. She can never live a happy life" Rakesh's heart softened as he understood the gravity of the situation. Kavitha's dedication to her friend's happiness stirred something in him, causing him to admire her all the more.