Competition Winners 3

TW- Self harm urges and intrusive thoughts.
(Here if anyone ever needs to talk about anything)

Danielle POV

"Come on Nova pick up," I said aloud to myself, dialling Nova's number for the fifth time.

"Pick up pick up pick up," I repeated.

"Ford no," I called out, seeing him jump up at the counter from across the room.

"We'll go for a walk soon," I promised him, bringing my phone up to my ear.

"Hello," I heard faintly.

I suppressed my need to cheer with relief and tried hard to keep my voice calm.

"Hi sweetie, it's Danielle," I said softly, a small smile across my face at finally getting her on the end of the line.

"H-hi," she stuttered nervously.

"I've been trying to get hold of you for a while now bubs, everything okay?" I asked, genuinely full of concern for the young teen.

"Y-yeah I'm good. Sorry I didn't answer," she said quietly.

"That's alright, I just wanted to check in and make sure everything was good with you," I said, sitting down on my sofa and curling my legs underneath me.

Seeing me settled, Ford hopped up, snuggling in beside me, resting his head on my lap.

Running my fingers through his messy fur, I gave my full attention to Nova on the other end of the phone.

"You didn't need to," she replied.

"I know but I wanted to," I assured her.

"How've you been sunshine, I know it's only been a week since the meet and greet?" I asked her.

"I'm fine, how're you?" Nova responded, almost robotically.

"I'm really good thanks sweetheart but Nova?"

"Y-yeah?"

"I don't believe I'm fine," I said calmly.

"What do you mean?" She asked nervously.

"When people say they're fine, they usually mean the opposite," I said with a light laugh, not wanting to put too much pressure on her.

"I'm sorry," she said sadly.

"No no sunshine you don't need to be sorry, you're protecting yourself and that's okay. But I'm here if you wanna talk about anything," I said quickly, wanting her to know she could open up.

There was a pause, I could sense she was silently debating with herself what to share.

"Danielle?" Nova practically whispered.

"I'm here sweetheart," I reassured her.

"I'm wobbling," she admitted.

"What do you mean love?" I asked, unsure what she meant.

"You know some of the things I wrote about in my story?" She asked.

"Yes lovely?" I said remembering it clearly.

"Well since meeting you last week I've been doing okay with some of it and I wanted to keep it that way but it's hard," she began explaining before stopping herself.

I gave her a moment, waiting to see if she continued by herself.

"Tell me sweetheart," I encouraged softly.

"I'm just having a lot of urges," she bravely confessed.

"How can I help?" I asked, knowing I'd do whatever I could.