Help Me Miss Savre 4

TW- slight trigger warning for self harm

Serena POV

It was field trip day so I really had to make sure that I made it to school on time because the bus would be leaving at 8:30.

My English class was taking a trip to an old theatre to watch a production of A Midsummer Night's Dream. It was almost a three hour drive so we had to make sure we left early to make it for the afternoon show after lunch.

Climbing out of bed, I winced in pain, instantly remembering the beating my dad gave me the night before. I stood in front of my mirror and lifted up my pyjama shirt, exposing my bruised abdomen and ribs.

At least this area would be easy to hide.

I bent down to open a draw, reaching for clean underwear. As I leant forward, a shot of pain stabbed at me, making my eyes full with tears.

Grabbing a baggy jumper and pair of leggings, I took my time pulling them, not wanting to feel anymore pain. I hated feeling so weak. I hated that I'd let him do this to me again.

I was feeling so many things all at once and I wanted them all to disappear. Staring at the pathetic excuse of a human in the mirror, I moved my gaze down to my arms, looking in disgust at the fading scars across them.

They didn't hurt anymore.

They were healing.

I didn't deserve to heal.

I deserved to look ugly and be in pain.

Rummaging around in my top draw, I felt my fingertips touch the cold metal of my blade. I squeezed my eyes closed, not able to look as I dragged it across my skin.

I felt it instantly and breathed out a sigh of relief as I punished myself. Opening my eyes, stared down at the mess I'd made, the blood running down my arm and over my wrist.

I wiped it away with a tissue, hoping it would stop quickly but it didn't. Not having any bandaids left, I panicked, needing it to stop.

Reaching for another tissue, I tried to wrap it around my wrist. I pulled the sleeves of my jumper down, and glanced at the time, realising that I needed to leave now if I was going to make it to school on time.

The house was silent, my dad not ever getting up until at least 11. I was grateful that I could just walk out the front door without any interaction.

When I arrived at school, I could see some kids in my English class making their way towards a bus. I followed them, seeing Miss Savre stood by the door with a clipboard.

"Morning guys," she smiled at the kids in front of me, ticking their names off her register as they climbed on.

"Hi sweetheart," she said warmly when I reached them.

"Hi," I replied quietly.

"Let me look at you," she said, getting me to lift my gaze a little.

"You look tired," she frowned.

I simply shrugged my shoulders.

"It's a fairly long drive Serena, maybe you could sleep a little?" She suggested.

"Yeah maybe," I nodded.

"Here, I picked you one up too," Miss Savre said, reaching a hand into her bag and pulling out a bottle of water.

"Thank you," I smiled gratefully.

She ticked my name off the list.

I turned to get on the bus.