Chapter 2.9 - Retribution

May 2nd, midnight.

A writer usually tends to avoid writing precise details in order to avoid what they call 'information dump'. It's a term for a situation where the information provided within a paragraph is too much for the reader to digest.

Normally, a writer would cut off some details or camouflage them in order to make the story more digestible. The classic "reader is the detective, writer is villain" trope, as they say. Without implying tactics like this, a book would only turn out to be nothing more than a fictional history book, in short a major 'turn off'.

What I'm trying to say is, YouZitsu followed the exact same rule, much more thoroughly. And that... is a problem.

The lack of information related to certain events left a good portion of gray area's/uncertainty in my predictions. For instance, let's just say an event is about to take place in a novel. If the writer simply wrote, "it happened", it would still be acceptable.

Not only that, an unexplained amount of days could go by in a single sentence. Unnoticeable amount of blanks could be left behind without anyone noticing. All of these are acceptable novel-wise as nothing really matters when you're simply reading the book.

But if it becomes the reality, well.. that's a different story altogether.

In my case, the world of YouZitsu was far more realistic for me than the one in the novel. Time didn't fly by like they did in-between chapters. I had to live twenty-four hours a day seven days a week. Without the precise date and time, I was completely clueless.

"I couldn't get to sleep, so I got up and left."

It was obviously late at night. Great. But when exactly? Which day? What time?

It was exactly as complicated as that. Two-dimensional informations wouldn't be enough for me to manipulate a three-dimensional situation from time-to-time. Under circumstances like these, it was up to me to figure out the solution.

What I was trying to do last night could be a great example. Yesterday, I had been standing behind a tree in front of the dorm all night long. I was waiting for Horikita to come down with a view to meeting her elder brother, Horikita Manabu. The alley in-between the local convenience stores would be their rendezvous point.

Although I had gained a certain amount of influence on her, it wasn't enough to sway her desire to follow her elder brother. I was sure that she would try to meet Manabu without having second thoughts. The rest is history.

However, I intended to directly interfere that event in order to manipulate the original flowchart. As of now, Horikita Manabu was the most influential student of the entire school. With power like his, reaching my goal would be many times more efficient. Unfortunately, I happened to pick the wrong time on a wrong date. So in the end, I stood outside in the cold like a scarecrow for nothing.

*cough

Fortunately, I managed to come up with an idea.

Ayanokouji witnessing the siblings was a pure 'coincidence'. He 'happened' to be out on a perfect time just to 'coincidentally' notice the existence of the Horikita siblings. It was no surprise that lady luck favors the male protagonists. I was not the protagonist; I didn't have the luck nor the plot armor. That's why bringing him with me would be the best option as he played the key role on that incident.

Besides, who knows? Maybe I could get some of his THICC lady luck energy?

-

I waited for the next day to come. It was already eleven at night. Many of the students were dead asleep by then. Blindly throwing the rock at the abyss, I walked outside towards Ayanokouji's room.