Chapter 4.2 - Distortion

After we received the message, what followed was an announcement which could be heard throughout the ship.

"Attention. This is an announcement to all students. All students should have received a message from the school, as indicated in the contact line. Please check your individual mobile devices and follow the instructions accordingly. The contents of the message are extremely important, please do not miss it. We repeat-"

"That was about the message we just got, right?" Kikyou asked.

"Sounds like it."

I turned my phone and showed her the following message:

[A special test will begin soon. Place gather in the designated room at the designated time. Anyone who arrives later than ten minutes after start time may be penalized. Please gather in Room 203 on the second deck by 19:20 today. Because it takes about twenty minutes to reach the area, we ask that you please use the restrooms now if necessary. Either silence your phone or turn it off, and make your way over.]

"A special test?"

The first year Zodiac special test had finally begun.

"Show me your phone for a second." I demanded.

Kikyou, without hesitation, showed me the message. The difference was the designated time and place. In her message, the designated time was set at 20:40.

"I wonder why they called us in such a strange way?" Kikyou mused.

"Our time is different. Perhaps they're calling us in different groups."

I checked the clock. It was exactly 1PM. In other words, I had to wait seven more hours to get more information. The events of the cruise ship exam was blurry in my memory. I only memorized the main events, and didn't bother remembering the remaining details.

How could I have possibly known that I'd get to experience the same exam one day?

In any case, it was a situation where I needed to gather information and combine them with my knowledge of the future to weave new plans.

"Kikyou, ask the other's about their details."

"Okay, I'll get straight to it."

Kikyou began fiddling with her phone, sending lime messages to the other class C students. For now, at least one fact was confirmed. I wasn't part of the the dragon group. And I have a premonition that I won't be a part of the main group either.

I immediately opened 'secret' and began typing.

[Did you check the message?]

[What message?]

This bastard...

[My designated meeting time is 19:20. What about yours?]

[18:00]

[Danke Schön.]

[........]

No doubt about it now. I wasn't part of the rabbit group either. It was a rather inconvenient situation for me.

"Levent-kun? What is it?"

As if interested in my chat with Ayanokouji, Kikyou drew nearer to me. I closed the tab and threw my phone back in the pocket.

"Did the others say anything?" I asked.

"Ah... Yes. They have." she responded while giving me a look of suspicion

"What did they say?" I asked.

I considered leaving Kikyou out of the discussion but then I decided otherwise. In the original YouZitsu, Kikyou was against the class, and did everything to stand in our way. Whether it was because of my forceful tactics, or call it sheer luck, Kikyou on the current scenario wasn't against us. On the contrary, she was on my side. At least that's what I had concluded for the time being.