Chapter 4.3 - Meeting

It was an unwanted outcome that I couldn't possibly avoid.

Some altercations were bound to be implemented to the story because of the butterfly effect, and I knew that very well. However, to think that it'd be up to this scale?

I preferred to do things under a controlled environment with perfected plans and schemes. That was my usual modus operandi. However, the story decided to throw a random curve at me, making things much more trickier than it's original state.

"....."

Even Horikita seemed to be at a loss of word after seeing the screen of my phone. Maybe it was surprise, maybe it astonishment.

After a long period of silence, she finally inquired with a complicated expression, "What do you plan to do now?"

"What else?"

If I wanted my group to win, I needed to make sure that at least my identity as a VIP doesn't get revealed before the intended time. It would lead to a negative outcome otherwise.

"Should we ask the others about their assigned roles?" Horikita suggested.

"You seem to have your own ideas regarding this exam?"

"Of course, gathering the information from the inside should be our first priority before we think about going on offense, don't you think?"

What Horikita said was indeed a brilliant first step. Information was crucial in this exam. The outcome of the exam depended on how the groups utilized raw information. If we wanted to separate those who we needed to defend, we needed their names first. However...

"How exactly do you plan to do that?" I questioned.

"I want to send an announcement in the class's lime group chat, or hold a class meeting with everyone. Wouldn't that be fine?"

"I believe it would be best if we refrained from holding public meetings." I suggested.

"I understand." Horikita nodded her head in acknowledgement. "It isn't guaranteed that there wouldn't be any evesdroppers from the other classes. Is that what you meant?"

Of course, that was 'part' of the reason why I opposed it.

"Are you going to send the announcement now?" I drummed my fingers on the table.

"It's better to announce it right away. More students would be able to see the message whenever they come online."

I partially agreed to her decision, and gave her the green light. Horikita powered her phone, and began typing the message on lime.

Tap -taptaptap.

It was taking a rather lengthy period of time for her to type a simple message on a chatbox. Growing curious, I noticed her finger movements. Then I came to realize something oddly innocent.

Horikita was a clumsy typer.

Her typing was all over the place. Not only was she slow at it, she was also making a lot of mistakes. Unlike the other students who were used to typing and messaging all the time, Horikita was one of the 'serious' types who wouldn't use phone unless it was necessary. No wonder why it took time for her to respond to me.

"I'm not slow. I'm just not used to typing on a phone." Horikita growled, making my body shudder at the thought of her potentially being an esper.

Regardless, I then extended my palm toward her. "Hand it over."

"What?"

"I want to make some adjustments."

"But why?"