Chapter 3.6 - Scouts

Day 2, 3:28 AM.

I swiped the card without looking back. There was no need. As soon as I swiped the card, class C's name popped on the screen alongside the eight-hour countdown.

"Oh, Ayanokouji-kun you're up. Levent-kun too, it seems."

It was none other than our good-natured Hirata Yousuke who came toward us. Even though I was well aware of his sudden early appearance, it would be lying if I said that I wasn't petrified to my wit's end.

"Not really. Did we wake you up by any chance?" Ayanokouji replied.

"Oh no. I can't exactly sleep soundly in this environment." Hirata replied as he looked at the keycard. "Oh, I see. So, you were doing that."

"Yeah. I'll be heading out on a hike soon. Might as well get us some extra points." I whispered.

At that time, I had planned to capture the nearest spot, which was the outpost. Plus the mountain Makida was talking about yesterday. I was also curious about where class A had set their base at.

"Don't you think that's a bit dangerous? It's still dark out there. What if you get lost?"

Hirata's warning wasn't too far off the mark. It was 3 am, the witching hour. It was still hours before the sun could rise. Everything was dark and foggy. The only light source I had was the flashlight provided by the school.

"Don't worry. I'm quite confident in my navigation skills." I replied.

"I'm still reluctant to allow such a reckless action, Levent-kun. If it's okay with you, why don't I join you guys?" Hirata didn't seem to buy it.

"No. You have another role to play. I want you to stay here and guard this device."

"Why? Wouldn't it be better if the three of us went inside the forest together?"

"The two of us lack appearance, meanwhile you are a major figure in this class. What if Ibuki-san wakes up and finds the three of us missing? And if she checks the device, it'd be hard for us to hide. That's why I suggest you stay here, just in case." I spurted out some random something.

"That's... I guess you're right."

"It's decided then."

After filling our water bottles, we sprinted toward the nearby outpost. The clock was ticking. We needed to act as quickly as possible. Or else Ibuki could notice our absence.

•••••

Day 2, 3:34 AM.

We were cutting through the dark dense forest at a rapid pace. The flashlight illuminated our path as we ran toward our destination.

"Looks like we're here." Ayanokouji mused. We could see the dome of the tall wooden outpost.

"Yeah. But it sure is a pain to navigate at night."

That was to be expected. Even though we had a flashlight burning, we still had to do a crisscross maneuver to march forward. After a few more minutes of walking, we reached the base of the outpost.

"Well, it seems no one else found this place after all," I remarked.

"The other classes must've had their hands full with setting up their camps," Ayanokouji replied.

"True. But I wonder if that's going to be the same case today."

The spot recognition device was standing beside the outpost, blank, ready to occupy. I immediately whipped my card out and occupied the spot.