Eighteen

I open my eyes and see Sakura struggling to stay awake.

I guess she didn't sleep like I told her to.

I sit up and say "Sakura, did you sleep at all?"

She turns to me "No, I had to watch"

"But I told you to sleep," I say, sitting up and checking on Sasuke and Naruto. Nothing changed except Sasuke stopped groaning.

"Yeah but I can't sleep like you" She says "I go right to sleep and stay asleep"

I frown then cross my arms "You go to sleep and I'll watch them for now. I'll wake you up in a few hours"

She looks hesitant but lays down and rests her head on her arm.

I take a stick and start woodling it to keep myself busy.

We aren't in good condition. If someone like that snake woman comes then we wouldn't be able to keep us all safe.

Chances are that Sakura won't be able to carry Naruto or Sasuke so running away wouldn't be an option.

A few minutes go by and my stick snaps.

I sigh and lower my arms while laying my head against the tree's trunk.

After finding the tree I went to sleep while she apparently stayed awake.

Naruto and Sasuke slept side by side and I'm hoping they'll wake up soon.

I stare into the leaves of the tree and come into deep thought full of questions.

Why did Kakashi send us into the chunin exams?

They weren't cut out for it. The written test they could do but this? This was way past their level.

Even my body said I couldn't win against that snake thing without the help of my Jubaku eyes.

If I had been alone I would have bailed that fight and ran away.

Growing up in my house gave you a sense of people you can and can't fight. If you can't fight them then you don't because you won't win.

Something tells me though, that that snake woman wasn't who she was saying she was. She was so powerful that it could have easily been some great ninja disguised as someone else to get into the exams.

If someone else attacks it will basically be up to me to fight. Sakura couldn't stand without shaking. She wasn't even able to disguise her fear for anger.

Losing Naruto and Sasuke took a toll on her but I swear she won't die, at least not here. The forest of death is the cause for many deaths but not hers, not today.

The sun starts to rise sending cascades of light through the branches and on us.

So, morning is already here.

Sakura is still sleeping as I look around. Everyone is sleeping except for me.

I grab the thermos and check for water but we're almost out.

I sigh and check Sasuke for fever. He's already growing hotter than last night.

Sakura starts to make sounds as she moves around in her sleep. Her face is scrunched up and she looks on the brink of screaming.

Suddenly she gasps and jerks awake.

I stare at her. "Are you okay?" I ask.

She looks down at Sasuke and Naruto then back at me.

She nods and says "Yes, I just- I was dreaming"

I nod and sit in a crouch while I look at her.

"Sakura we're out of water" I say "I'm gonna go find some more while you stay here and watch them okay?"