chapter 27

When I open my eyes I was on a bed, the room succumbed to darkness only light coming from the lanterns placed on the side table. It was dark outside so I guessed it was nighttime. I must be out for a few hours but I feel well-rested. When I sat up my muscles were stiff as if I was lying in one place for a long time.

I stretched a little, I think back to what happened at the ceremony. How I lost consciousness just after I was crowned. So embarrassing! I touched the place where I was marked on my neck but the bruise was healed.

Suddenly the door to my right opened and outside came Atticus in his loose clothes, his hairs were wet giving a sign that he was taking a shower. When his eyes fell on me he stilled for a moment then a relieved sigh came out of his mouth.

"You scared me mate" he sighed as if he is tired and by the dark circles under his eyes, I can tell he hasn't slept well.

"Sorry?" I asked more than said not knowing what else to say.

"You were out for three days," he said as he walked towards me, he steps carefully. He sat on the edge of the bed in front of me and smiled at me. I gasped at the revelation!

"What?" I gasped.

"I thought I lost you, they did warn me that you won't be able to take the marking but... you are stronger than that" he smiled proudly at me. He took my hand in his and kissed my knuckles softly. He looked exhausted and now I know why he was worried about me for three days. When I was sleeping peacefully he was worried for me.

"I love you mate" he whispered lightly as he placed his forehead on mine and took a deep breath.

Those three words were enough to make me dizzy. He loves me...he loves me! Yes, I am his mate and he does like me but hearing him confess is something else.

"I can't see you like that... don't ever do that again," he said and leaned back looking into my eyes. His tone was a little stern as if scolding me, and I chuckled at that.

A flicker of emotion pass through his eyes and the next moment he was leaning towards me, so close to me. I closed my eyes in anticipation knowing what is about to come but the spell was broken by a loud growl coming from my stomach. I flushed in embarrassment and looked at him.

I was surprised to hear his laugh, not just a smile a full-blown laughter the voice was like a lullaby pulling me towards him. He was laughing at my expense and for a moment I was okay with it. As long as I can see him like that I don't care.

"Don't make fun of me!" I feigned anger.

"Apologies my Queen," he said with a smile.

"Pardon me for not asking you for food, one look at you and I forget everything around me. That's not fair" he shakes his head giving me an accusing look. I tried to hide my smile at his words. Do I have this sort of power over him?

"Yes mate you have" he answered and I glared at him.

"Don't read my thoughts" I complained.

"They are so loud I can't ignore them," he said.

"You .." I said but was interrupted by my loud knock.

"Come in," he said and samara stepped in with a tray of food. It's smell wafted around the room making my stomach growl again. At that both samara and Atticus tried to hide their smile. He must have mind linked her to bring me food.

"Happy to see you, awake Queen!" Samara greeted and she looked relieved too.

"Thank you," I told her. Atticus took the tray from her hand and told samara to leave. She half bowed to both of us and went out. Only then I noticed my surroundings I was in Atticus's room.

"Our room" he corrected me as he placed the tray in front of me on the bed. I pulled up the barrier in my mind not forgetting to give him the stinky eye for reading my thoughts again. Not that I mind him reading my thoughts, it just bothers me that he can read my thoughts and I on the other hand can't read his.

It was some sort of soup, he filled the spoon with it and placed it near my lips. I opened my mouth happy to be fed by him. With him, I do feel like a spoiled brat. He too looked happy feeding me. But when I looked at his tired face I felt bad. Once I was done he placed the tray outside of the room door for someone to come and fetch it later.

He came back and sat on the bed beside me. His eyes were gazing at me.

"You need rest," I said at which he smirked a little.

"I am fine," he said. I am not feeling sleepy but I know he needs his sleep and he is only saying this because of me.

"No, we are sleeping," I said and lay down on my side of the bed. He sighed and followed my lead, we both lay on our sides facing each other.

"Good night" I whispered, he was struggling to open his eyes. He was being stubborn.

"Close your eyes Atticus" I whispered and placed my hand in his hair caressing them lightly. That did the deed he relaxed immediately and closed his eyes. I kept caressing his soft hair until I heard his soft snores.

His face looked so innocent like that free of any worry. He looked like a child while sleeping and I can't seem to take my eyes off him. I think now I can relate to why he didn't want to close his eyes. Whether it is because of a mate bond it didn't matter. I like this feeling, it made me giddy and at peace.

I can't believe I could feel something like this for someone. I felt like a teenager who fell in love for the first time and don't want to remove the eyes from their lover. But then again he is my first love and would be my last too!

I can't imagine feeling like this for anyone else ever. I think I can stay like this watching over him for the rest of my life without blinking. Love does make you act like an idiot and I am happy to be called an idiot if it comes to that because...

"I love you too Atticus" I whispered and placed a kiss on his cheek, he immediately pulls me into his arms still sleeping. I placed my head on his chest as his heartbeat lulled me to sleep.