The Truth About Garrett and Y/N

"Hello, Mother." Wednesday stood on the stairs watching Morticia.

"Hello, Wednesday. So, you're a Nightshade. That didn't take long." Morticia smiled at Wednesday as she walked down the stairs.

"Yeah, that doesn't surprise me."

"Actually, I rejected them." Wednesday walked over to Morticia.

"Why? Because I was a member?" Morticia faced Wednesday.

"I'll never live up to your legacy here, so why try? I win the Poe Cup, you claimed it four times. I join the fencing team, you captained it. Why would you send me somewhere I could only ever exist in your shadow?" Wednesday stared at Morticia.

"It's not a competition, Wednesday." Morticia looked at Wednesday softly.

"Everything is a competition, Mother. But mostly I rejected them because they're a trivial social club." Wednesday looked at Y/N who was being awfully quiet.

"We used to be so much more. Our mission to protect Outcasts from harm and bigotry. In fact, the group was started by an ancestor of your Father's from Mexico. One of the first settlers in America." Morticia smiled at Wednesday.

"Goody. I saw her painting at Pilgrim World." Wednesday's face lit up.

"Oh. How ironic, since she was the one who killed Joseph Crackstone. The Nightshades were her secret, but deadly, answer to his oppression. I know why you've come here, Wednesday. So go on. Ask." Morticia stared at Wednesday tears in her eyes.

"Father didn't kill Garrett Gates, did he?" Wednesday turned to Morticia.

"No. By the time I made it up the stairs, I found your Father fighting for his life. It was terrifying. I'll never forget the way he looked at me. He was even foaming out the mouth. It was like I was staring into the eyes of a rabid beast. It was only when I heard the scream that I realised what I'd done. Your Father was so...calm and brave. Your Father took the blame in order to protect me. I was so grateful when they cleared him of any wrongdoing. But I knew, someday this would come back to haunt us." Morticia's eyes were full with tears.

"You said Garrett was foaming at the mouth. His eyes didn't look human." Wednesday looked between Y/N and Morticia.

"I've never seen someone so blinded by rage." Morticia looked at Wednesday.

"Maybe it wasn't rage at all. Foaming saliva, dilated pupils, mental confusion. What are those all textbook symptoms of?" Wednesday took a step forward.

"But how could that be?" Morticia gasped.

"There's only one way to find out." Wednesday smiled at Morticia widely.

* Jericho Cemetery *

"This reminds me of your first grave digging kit. You were so happy, you nearly smiled." Morticia smiled down at Wednesday as she dug beside Y/N.

"Are you sure you don't want to join?" Wednesday looked up at Morticia.

"Um..no..that's okay, darling. I don't want to spoil your fun." Morticia inspected her nails.

"More like ruin her nails." Y/N scoffed.

Wednesday hit the coffin, she dusted it off.

"Moment of truth."  Wednesday opened the coffin and breathed in.

"Hello Garrett. I was right." Wednesday looked at the remains of Garrett.

"Well, well, what do we have here? Guess there's gonna be an Addams Family Reunion in lockup tonight." Santiago walked over and Morticia held her hands up in surrender.