Chapter 35

Saturday 16th January, 1977

It was calm in the library, silent except for the sound of pages turning, the scribbling on parchment, and hushed conversations. There were plenty of students taking up desks, doing homework, studying, or simply satisfying one's curiosity. I looked over my work, eyes squinted as I scrutinised everything I wrote. I'd just finished writing an essay for Transfiguration, and I wanted it to be perfect. McGonagall was known to make kids redo their homework if it wasn't up to certain standards, and I was determined to make this piece of work better than acceptable. I wanted an Exceeds Expectations at least.

Was I completing all of my assignments like they were my O.W.L.s? Perhaps. I couldn't help it though; I was so nervous about it I wanted to just get them over and done with. I thought practise for my O.W.L.s would surely help me complete my actual O.W.L.s to a better standard, so here I was, holed up in the library with a pile of unfinished homework that seemed to be increasing every day. It turned out completing every piece of homework to perfection took a long time.

A commotion at the entrance to the library caught my attention, and I distractedly glanced towards the source of it, only to double take when I noticed Evan Rosier walk into the room, looking rather cheerful. Caius Avery followed, an excited expression plastered across his face as his eyes scanned the room, eventually landing on me.

Then there was Regulus, and I seemed to lose my breath just staring at him. He was marching after his friends with purpose, eyes narrowed to slits as he quickened his stride. I felt a smile tug at my lips at his unamused demeanour. Regulus looked so cute when he was annoyed. When he wasn't annoyed at me that is.

After Regulus was Barty Crouch Jr, because yes, the line goes on. He was trailing after his friends with his arms crossed, his very walk full of judgement as he glared after Regulus, a mix of disbelief and disapproval flickering across his face. Lastly was Pandora Lestrange, walking behind them all with a strange sort of elegance, a small smile gracing her face.

I felt panic pool in my gut when I noticed all of them walking towards me. I wasn't sure what to do. Yes, I said I was okay with Regulus's friends knowing, and sure, I did want to meet them, but a little warning would have been nice.

"Finally!" Rosier said as he arrived in front of me, sitting on my desk and forcing me to hastily remove my stuff lest he ruin it. Rosier continued talking. "It was obvious he was in love with you for ages, but I thought he was just going to mope about forever. I never thought he'd actually do something about it!" my mouth was agape as he talked but Rosier was either oblivious or ignored my shocked state. "You'd better be worth the trouble he's going to be in when his parents find out."

"Shut up Evan," Regulus hissed, arriving next to Evan. He gave me a remorseful look, no doubt about to apologise for his friends, when Crouch interrupted him with a cackle.

"It's true though. Your parents are certainly not going to be happy about this- "

Regulus was swift to turn onto his friend, glaring daggers. "Just shut up will you?"

"OUT!" Madam Pince's voice echoed around the quiet library.

My eyes widened, my mind immediately turning to the large pile of homework I was yet to complete. I tried to stay, almost begging on my knees but the old librarian would hear none of it, ushering me out with the rest of Regulus's friends.

I was starting to understand what Regulus said when he explained his friends were a bit much.

"I'm so sorry," Regulus apologised, sending dirty looks to his friends. "We can find somewhere else for you to study. Is your Common Room- "