chapter 9

I went back to my apartment and sobbed. How did I let this happen? I thought I was making a good impression, I didn't realize I was interfering with the players. I could not stop crying. What was I supposed to do about Gavi? I couldn't tell him, he was falling apart at the seams, but I couldn't just leave. I couldn't leave. I had no where to go back to. And what was I supposed to tell my boss?

Deep breaths. Ok. I'm going to write an email to my boss asking if I can finish the article by myself, tell her I have more than enough information. Then I'm going to write Gavi a note, that I'll give to Pedri. Pedri knows what happened with me, and will know why I can't tell Gavi. Then, once I finish the article I will send it in, but then my apartment won't be paid anymore, and I don't have my old apartment anymore, so I'll move back in with my father. I have €1,200 in savings, and €9,000 in an old college fund so I can help dad pay rent, get a job, and support myself. My God.

If I told myself this 10 hours ago I wouldn't believe it. I've been her six days. Six days and I've already lost the job and everything is falling apart. All the players but Gavi, Pedri, and Lewandowski unfollowed me. First I'm going to email my boss.

.

.

.

Hello Desire,

I am wondering if I could complete the article on my own time. I have more than enough material to write the article, and I am just in the way when I watch them train.

Thank you, Cleo.

.

.

.

Thirty minutes later Desire wrote me back. She told me they wouldn't pay for the apartment if I wasn't going to practices and stuff, but I told her I was fine with it. She said if I could send it to her within 24 hours she could get it published in this months edition which comes out this week. And I said yes. I was determined to get the article out as soon as possible so Xavi would feel bad. I know its petty, but I am petty.

There's no way I would be able to write the article without absolutely sobbing, but I just kept going. I had to stop about 40 times. I decided you catch more flies with honey, so I didn't say anything negative or petty towards Xavi or the team. I sent it to Desire for approval, and she sent it in for editing. I did it. I had until tomorrow night to leave the apartment, so I decided to get some sleep.

When I woke up, I had 20 missed calls from Gavi. Oh shit he must've found out.

"Hello?" I said, calling him back.

"Hey Cleo. I heard what happened." He said in a somewhat excited tone.

"Why do you sound so happy?" I asked him.

"Well Xavi felt horrible for how he treated you, and then he was taking it out on the team because were going bankrupt and he was afraid you were going to say bad things about him and get him fired, so he wants to talk to you, and I can't tell you that much, but just stay in Spain." He said.

"Gavi, I can't stay. I already booked a flight back to London, and my apartment isn't paid for anymore. Not to mention how much stress this is, I mean so much has happened within a week."

"I can't force you to stay, but I think it would be a mistake. Whatever you choose to do, call me. Xavi is going to call you in like an hour, and you don't have to leave the apartment yet."

"Ok, Gavi. I'll call you." I hung up. Ok. I didn't know what to do. The first thing I needed to do was figure out my apartment situation. I went down to the front desk.

"Hi! I was wondering about my apartment and rent." I asked

"What's your address?" I told her the address and she looked me up, "Ok, so it looks like you have two days left in this month, then you're out. Are you thinking of staying?"

"Yes, how much will that be?"

"I had a feeling you'd find something to stay here for. It's 1200 a month." Something, more like someone. She handed me paperwork and I filled it out.

"You're all set for June! The rest of your bills will just be mailed to you normally, let us know if you need to change any payment information." A wave of relief crashed over me. 20 minutes later I got a call from the bank saying my transaction was approved. Xavi hadn't called me yet, and I needed some immediate stress relief, so I grabbed my skates I brought just in case, and called a taxi to take me to the FCB ice rink.

I skated for an hour and a half before Xavi called. Skating made me feel at peace, although it was weird skating in such a warm place.

"Hello?" I said, answering the phone.

"Hi Cleo," Xavi said. Here we go. I was sitting at a table in the rink, so I didn't want this to take long. I was ready. "I want to start this off by apologizing. I was wrong about you. We need the publicity from this article, so I just hope you didn't decide to say anything too terrible."

"Don't worry, thats not me."

"I know Gavi told you to stay in Spain, and I hope you did because i'd like to offer you a job."

"What?" I froze.

"We need a new social media manager," He said, "It pays decent, €23 and hour, 7 hours a day, 5 days a week. With your journaling experience, we think you're the perfect fit. If you're interested, come to the fields tomorrow, I will show you your office and give you the contract."

"Thank you so much, Xavi. Have a great day."

"You too, Cleo, bye."

The feeling was incredible, indescribable. I got to stay in the place I loved, and have a job I'm sure I would love around the people, or person, I loved. I think I squealed in the middle of the ice rink. I had to call my dad and Gavi, but I wanted to skate a little more, so I did a few more celebration skates, then went home. Home.

A/N: Ok, so were moving a bit fast, but I promise, the story is not nearly resolved yet.