Part 26

"Watch where you are going" came the arrogant voice and the person bent down to take the mobile phone which slipped from his hands when she bumped into her.

Chaahat froze for a moment and then all blood drained from her face, leaving her as pale as a ghost.

"Chaahat?" Mithran, who had come back in looking for Chaahat standing there as though she saw a ghost.

Mithran noticed Dhruv Khuranna getting up after picking his phone and before Dhruv could turn around Chaahat rushed out.

Mithran frowned in confusion.

Mithran was about to follow Chaahat when Dhruv noticed him.

"Mithran?" Dhruv called out and Mithran shot a polite smile at his childhood friend.

"Hello Dhruv" Mithran greeted the other man.

Dhruv has changed a lot from his childhood days. Even during their childhood, Dhruv was reserved, but now he looks positively remote.

It is such a miracle that he is even talking to Mithran.

"It's been long" Dhruv said and Mithran nodded.

It was more awkward to talk to someone who you hadn't been in touch for decades than talking to a stranger,

"I heard Uncle Madan had a surgery recently. How is he now?" Dhruv asked

"Healing better. Visit him sometime if possible. He would love it" Mithran said, knowing how much his father had tried to keep in touch with his late best friend's children. But the maternal family kept the children away after their father's death.

"Hmmm. See you then" Dhruv said in a non committal way and walked away and Mithran walked out of the cafe to look for Chaahat.

But Chaahat was nowhere to be found.

He dialled her number multiple times, but they all went unanswered.

'Where the hell is she?'

Mithran got in his car and drove straight to his apartment and was relieved to find Chaahat there.

She was sitting in the living room, staring blankly at the ceiling.

"I had told you I was waiting for you. Why the hell do you take pleasure in going against my every word?" Mithran asked in exasperation.

"I didn't realise I was obliged to ask how high when you ask me to jump" Chaahat said flippantly and Mithran shot a look of annoyance at her.

"What the hell were you doing with Vedant Khoda?" Mithran asked

"And I haven't given anybody any rights to question me. I should have told you this when you questioned me there, but I didn't want to humiliate you" Chaahat said coolly.

Mithran took deep breaths to control his anger.

What is this woman made of?

How hard is it to break the walls around her?

"Okay, let's try this, shall we? When Appa forced us into this marriage, he gave you a pretty good idea as to who I am and what I am. Didn't he?" Mithran asked.

"He did," Chaahat agreed.

"And you agreed to marry me. Which means whatever you knew about me was enough for you to know that I am in no way dangerous to you" Mithran said and Chaahat frowned as there was a ring of truth to it.

If she had no idea as to who Mithran is or what his character is, she wouldn't have agreed to get into a temporary arrangement with him. An arrangement where she had to share a living space with him. Even a bed.

"Well?" Mithran prompted.

"Yes" Chaahat agreed grudgingly and a smug smile appeared on Mithran's face.

"So, I am at a disadvantage here. I was forced into a marriage and I was told the name of the bride is Chaahat, whom my father has been taking care of for years. Nothing more than that. For all I know, you could be a naxalite" Mithran said in irritation.

"You think your father would make you marry a naxalite?" Chaahat asked and Mithran groaned.

"That's not the point," Mithran said in irritation.

To an extent, Chaahat could understand his turmoil. He is living with a woman he knows nothing about.

"I work for Vedant Khoda" Chaahat said and Mithran looked at her in disbelief.

"You work for him as?" Mithran asked

"I am designer at K-Fab" Chaahat said

"Do you have regular meetings with your boss?" Mithran asked, not really realising why he was feeling a burning sensation at the thought of Chaahat spending time with VK.

"No. I had submitted my resignation and Mr Khoda wanted to meet me" Chaahat said.

"Why are you resigning?" Mithran asked in disbelief. He knows K-fab is one of the best in the fashion industry. And if Chaahat managed to get a job there, she must be very talented. Why the hell would she want to give up such a good job?

"That doesn't come under any of your business, Mr Yadav. You wanted to know something about me. And I told you. Now you can live peacefully knowing that I have no intentions of living the rest of my life sponging off your father" Chaahat said.

"You are never going to forget that, are you? And you are never going to let me forget that. I get it, I offended you with my words. There is no need to rub it in my face every now and then" Mithran said with a scowl.

"Now you are acting as the offended party," Chaahat muttered.

"Why do I even bother? I must be pretty darn crazy to get into a verbal fight with you knowing very well that I am never going to win" Mithran muttered furiously, turned on his heels and walked out of the apartment, leaving Chaahat to dwell in her thoughts again.

Chaahat closed her eyes as she felt the adrenaline rush.

Slowly, she is getting addicted to this verbal duelling with Mithran. It is making her feel lively after a long time.

She didn't know whether it was a good thing or bad thing. But she cannot get used to it.

What will she do once the three months are over.. No, two months.. How fast did one month go...

And why is she feeling so hollow at the thought of leaving?

A/n

Here goes the next shot...

Update will be twice a week from now onwards. Mondays and Fridays..

Please do vote and comment.

Love ❤