SHOT 46

By the time Chaahat came out of the kitchen, Mithran had already opened the door.

Seeing the person who came in, all blood drained from her face, leaving her as pale as a ghost.

"Dhruv Khuranna.." the name escaped her lips, as she stared helplessly at the man who just came in.

Chaahat quickly slipped back into the kitchen, her face void of colour.

"Who is it at the door?" Amritha Yadav asked.

"Uh, I don't know.." Chaahat lied, not knowing what else to do.

As she retreated to the safety of the kitchen, her heart raced erratically in her chest.

The mere sight of Dhruv had awakened a storm of emotions she had long buried deep within her heart. She leaned against the kitchen counter, her mind a whirlwind of conflicted thoughts.

Dhruv Khuranna - a name that carried memories she had fought to forget, a past she had sworn never to revisit. She clenched her trembling hands, trying to steady herself, but her thoughts were in chaos.

As the voices from the living room grew louder, Chaahat found herself sinking into the corner of the kitchen. She closed her eyes, trying to steady her racing heart. The memories she had buried deep within her started resurfacing, and with them, the overwhelming fear and pain.

Khuranna, the name echoed in her mind like a haunting whisper. The mere mention of that name was enough to send her spiralling back into the past, a past she had tried so hard to forget.

She had thought that by leaving her hometown and starting a new life in this unfamiliar city, she could escape the shadows of her past. But fate had other plans.

Chaahat's palms were clammy, her throat dry. She knew she couldn't hide in the kitchen forever, but the idea of facing him was terrifying. What if she recognised her? How will he react?

What if he remembered everything? What if he blamed her for all that has happened in their life?

Taking deep breaths, Chaahat tried to reason with herself. It's been years, she thought. People change. He might not even recognise her. And even if he does, he might not want to rehash the past.

She splashed cold water on her face, to calm her nerves, when she heard Mithran approaching the kitchen.

*****

Mithran was quite surprised to see Dhruv Khuranna at the doorstep at this time of the night. It was nearing ten at night and the visit was totally unexpected.

"Dhruv, please come in." Mithran said and guided Dhruv to the living room where Madan Yadav was.

"Appa, do you recognise him?" Mithran asked and Madan looked up at the tall well built man and his eyes widened as recognition struck him.

Rajath's son. His best friend's son.

"Dh.. Dhruv.." It was a bare whisper, full of emotions.

Madan hadn't expected this meeting. When the Khurannas had taken Dhruv and Diya away, effectively breaking off all ties, he had almost given up hope of ever meeting the two kids ever.

"Uncle Madan, how are you doing? I heard you recently underwent a surgery." Dhruv said in a formal tone, as he took a seat across from Madan.

Amrutha, who had come to check who it was, had tears in her eyes.

Her best friend Mohini's son. One look at him and there was no doubt. He was a xerox copy of his father Rajath.

"Dhruv.." she called out as she hurried towards Dhruv and cupped his face so affectionately.

Dhruv felt uncomfortable with that sudden show of affection. He was not accustomed to it.

"Uh, hello aunty." He greeted awkwardly, the tears running down the older woman's cheeks making him uneasy.

"Why don't we all sit down and talk?" Mithran intervened, sensing Dhruv's unease.

They exchanged quick pleasantries. Amrutha stuck to Dhruv's side, too happy to even see that he was uneasy by the sudden onslaught of affection when he was not used to it.

"How is Diya doing? Is she married?" Madan asked and a sudden glint entered his eyes when asked about Diya. They didn't understand what it was, but he was quick enough to mask it.

"Yes, she is married. Her husband is an attorney. They have a set of twin boys, three years old." Dhruv said, pasting a smile on his face.

"Aww! I can't believe she is all grown up and a mother to two.." Amritha gushed, with happy tears in his eyes.

Mithran was quite shocked to see his mother's reactions. She was never the demonstrative type. The only person to whom she has expressed her love was him, her own son. Not even her husband of thirty years had that privilege.

"Mithran, please ask Chaahat to get something to drink," Amritha said, refusing to move an inch from Dhruv's side.

"Sure, Amma." Mithran said and saw his father tensing at that.

"Amrutha, why don't you go and get it yourself. She might not know where things are." Madan said.

"That's okay, Appa. I will help her." Mithran said, frowning at the way Madan had tensed all of a sudden.

"Chaahat?" Dhruv asked in confusion.

"My wife.." Mithran said with a smile.

"Oh, you are married? I didn't know." Dhruv said politely.

"It's been just a few months.." Mithran said brightly.

"Congratulations on your wedding, Mithran."

"You might actually know my wife. She works in K-fab. She is a senior designer there." Mithran said proudly and Dhruv frowned.

"Senior designer? I met most of the senior designers. I don't remember meeting Chaahat Yadav," Dhruv said in confusion.

"Ah, probably her name in the records would be Chaahat Bhatra," Mithran said easily and Dhruv tensed.

"Bhatra?" Dhruv asked suspiciously.

Madan had a defeated look on his face. Amritha had a horrified look on her face.

"Is that her maiden name? Bhatra?" Amritha asked in disbelief, quickly connecting the dots. She couldn't believe this was the secret her husband had kept from her over the years.

"Wait, lemme just call her. You might have seen her somewhere around the office." Mithran said and hurried towards the kitchen.

He pulled Chaahat towards the living room.

Dhruv Khuranna sprang up from the couch when he saw the woman approaching the living room.

All blood drained from his face.

"You???"