Part Five

With the girls being freshly braided thanks to Agnes and Jake, and fed thanks to Steve, they headed off on the long walk into the village. It took them around seven hours and it was close to 11pm local time when they reached it, it was quite a large village, it seemed pretty busy for the time it was and they managed to find a small hotel of sorts where they easily booked a room. They only had one room, a simple room with a bathroom and a queen bed that they would make do with. They headed up to the room and put their bags down, checking out the surroundings before Jake raised his hand.

"Did anyone else notice the group of soldiers down the street? I don't know if they're waiting for us or on a mission of their own but I don't think we need to draw attention to ourselves, we always mingle when we see our own." He dug around in his bag, pulling out some vests and a T-shirt. "Here, wear these, the more colour, the less they'll think you're military and they won't talk to you."

"Well me and Fox aren't military."

"Why would they talk to us in anyways?" Agnes asked as she whipped off her khaki green vest, replacing it with the bright orange vest that Jake handed to her. It was a little baggy on her so she started tying it at the side.

"Uh, because you're fucking hot. Soldiers are horny little fucks on missions and that's not the only jungle we wanna get into out here--"He stopped himself when he saw six eyes widening and six eyebrows rising. "I didn't mean for that to sound so gross and pig headed, and I didn't mean me and Nomad. We're gentleman."

"Sure you are." Kay rolled her eyes, going to the window to see what the view was like. It was basically a brick wall and she frowned, she wished she had more to work with other than a brick wall but then she turned around as Steve was taking off his dark green T-shirt and her view got a whole lot nicer. "Fuck,"

"Everything ok, Hoots?"

"Yep. All good." She nodded and held her hand out for Jake to throw a T-shirt over to her which was pink and not very her at all. "The fuck is this?"

"That's the petunias! My nieces soccer team."

"Oh my god, that's adorable." Agnes almost swooned at it, giving it love heart eyes.

"Then you wear it, because I do not wear pink." She held the shirt out to Agnes who immediately pulled off the orange vest and they swapped, feeling good about their decision.

"You don't like the colour pink?" Steve asked as he shoved on a white muscle shirt that made her throat dry up.

"I do, I just don't like wearing it because I'm pale and the ends of my hair are red so it just clashes and looks weird." She laughed and touched the bottom of one of her braids and he laughed. "Should we go and grab some beers and chips or something? I feel like we've just suddenly changed with no real reason behind it so I'm suggesting one."

"Jake said we shouldn't be in military colours."

"But we're in a room, they won't see us. So I figured we were going out?"

"I'll go out with you and get some beer." Jake nodded. "Let's see if they have any playing cards or something and we can have a little party in here, we have electricity so we'll be able to see what the fuck we're doing."

"Let's all go," Steve nodded. "We can get some snacks, something other than rations and have a little down time."

"Down for it." Agnes nodded and walked over to the door, opening it up and heading out. The others followed and they headed down to see what was on offer.

There wasn't much by way of choice, just one small store that sold alcohol and snacks and pharmacy items, much to Jakes happiness, they sold playing cards too. So they got two bags filled with snacks and drinks and headed back to their room, and Steve definitely noticed the group of military guys out of the corner of his eye. They didn't seem to be high ranking, there was nothing on their uniforms and one of them was trying to get the attention of a local girl. That was until their eyes landed on Kay and Agnes and Steve made them walk quicker, the last thing they needed was anyone recognising them or trying to start a conversation with them.