11- I know everything

Y'all know the thoughts.

Emma's P.O.V

When I woke up, it was getting dark out. Jamie wasn't around, even though I was in his room.

Eh, he's probably drinking. Again. I should go find him, I could use a drink.

I peeked outside of the room, expecting to see my bodyguard. Instead, no one was there. The house was quiet. I slunk down the hall, hoping to hear someone. I heard laughing, so I followed the noise. I entered a library, to find Jamie and Aves.

What are they doing here?

I walked further into the room. They hadn't noticed me yet, and I was going to speak. 

"What are you two doing?" I asked, causing them to turn around.

Another person joined us, there light footsteps practically unnoticeable.

"Yeah, what are we doing?" He asked, blocking the only known exit in the library.

"Well," Avery huffed, "We're looking for a book that doesn't match it's cover." I gave her the look, telling her to continue, "We're trying to figure out why Tobias left his fortune to me."

I laughed. I actually laughed, "You think the old man needed a reason? Other than to screw over his grandsons?" I stopped laughing. 

"Actually, now that I think about it....." The group turned towards me. I froze, and bolted out the door. I returned to my room, locking my door. I made my way to the study. I ran to Hawthorne's desk, searching through the papers.

There was my letter.

Dear Emma,

You were right, but still wrong.
Understand, but don't compute.
A life, but not yours to live.
Given, but taken the difference.
Everything, but yet nothing is the same.
Graced, but don't want.
Loved, but hated by all.
Although new, but not naive.
Competent, but unknowledgeable.
You know, but don't need.
Provide assistance, but don't lead.

I'm sorry.

-Hawthorne

It makes more sense. I took a secret passageway, ending up down the hall from the library. I ran in, reciting the lines.

"Dear Emma, you were right, but wrong. Understand, but don't compute. A life, but not yours to live. Given, but taken the difference. Everything, but yet nothing is the same. Graced, but don't want. Loved, but hated by all. Although new, but not naive. Competent, but unknowledgeable. You know, but don't need. Provide assistance, but don't lead." I was out of breath, leaning against the door frame.

"What was that?" Jamie asked, turning toward me.

"My letter," I explained, "It makes more sense now. I was right, but wrong. I knew he was disowning you, but I thought it would go to someone else."

To Tobey, his son.

I continued, "Understand, but don't compute. I know and understand everything he told me, but I didn't tell y'all. A life, but not yours to live. I was given a life, but wasn't able to live it."

Stupid Mother, stupid Father.

I couldn't stop, "Given, but taken the difference. I was given this life, but I left and was given an inheritance. Everything, but yet nothing is the same. I had everything, riches, a house, everything. But I wasn't happy. The same as when I was on the streets with nothing."

There was no difference, I can't even remember when I was happy back then.

At this point, they were all ears. "Graced, but don't want. I was given the world, but I ran away. I didn't want, nor need it. Loved, but hated by all. You all loved me as a friend, but my family hated me. You guys hated me because I inherited."

Hawthorne, you did this on purpose, didn't you?

I kept going, "Although new, but not naive. I'm a new character. A new plot twist, but I understand what's happening. Competent, but unknowldgeable. I have the ability and the power to know the solution, but I can't act as though I know. You know, but don't need. I know why, why he did everything. Provide assistance, but don't lead."

I paused. Jamie spoke, "Layc, what does that mean?"

I gulped, and looked at him with teary eyes. "It means, he left me everything I needed to know why he did this. It means, I already know the solution, the answer. But, I can't share. You guys have to figure it out on your own."

Gray scowled. Jamie cursed. Aves was confused, as per usual.

"It's what Hawthorne wanted." That's all I said, as I exited the room.