Chapter 2: The Sorting

Ⓨ/Ⓝ'ⓢ Ⓟⓞⓥ
I felt excitement bubbling in me as the train pulled in to the station. My father had told me I was to ride in the carriages like any other 6th year student, and then wait in the Entrance Hall where McGonagall would come to get me after the Sorting. "What house do you think you'll be sorted into?" Peter asked me. "I'm not sure." I admitted. My father was a Slytherin, but no one knew I was his daughter so I figured I was safe for the most part. "What house do you want to be sorted into?" James followed up. "Um.. Gryffindor, I suppose." I wondered if the boys had noticed that I didn't do much explaining when I spoke. Either they didn't notice or they didn't care. I spotted Lily on the platform and she waved me over. "I'm going to go sot with my other friends." I mumbled to the boys and walked off. "You sat with the Marauders?!" Lily asked me as we got in a carriage. "Marauders?" I asked, confused. "It's what that group of boys call themselves." Marlene told me and I nodded. The conversation ended there as we switched to another topic. "Are you going to be sorted like a first-year?" Mary asked me. I shook my head. "Then how?" Dorcas jumped in. "The same way, jsut after." I explained. All the girls nodded. Then we arrived at Hogwarts. I was shocked, to say the least. The castle looked huge, and I had to crane my neck to see the whole thing. The castle was hard to see in the night as it was black. "Quit staring and let's go!" Marlene laughed, dragging me to the castle. The girls began making their way to the Great Hall, but Lily frowned when she realised I wasn't there. "Y/N? Aren't you coming?" she asked. I shook my head. "I have to wait here." I told her apologetically. She nodded and followed the other girls. A lot of people sent me strange looks as they walked to the Hall. I looked at the ground to avoid the stares. Soon, everyone settled in the Great Hall and I was left alone. I took that time to study the Entrance Hall. The floor space of the Hall was pretty small, about the size of the bottom storey of my house but the ceiling went higher than my house was tall. Across from the front door (which was tall and brown) was one of the many staircases. It was pearly white with a few golden accents on the handrail. Before I could admire the rest of the Hall, McGonagall came. She was a tall witch with black hair and green robes with a matching green witches hat atop her head. "We're ready for you now." She told me. I followed her into the Hall. I stepped in just as Dumbledore cried "...Y/N!" Everyone's eyes turned to me and I turned red under everyone's gaze. I stared at the ground as I followed Professor McGonagall to the top of the Hall where I saw a small stool and an old wizard's hat. McGonagall lifted the hat and I sat down, still not looking at anything but my shiny black shoes. McGonagall lowered the hat on my head. Ah, a L/N the hat said in my head. I froze. Did everyone hear that. Would everyone hear what the hat said to me? No, no, only you can hear me at the moment. The hat said. You can hear my thoughts? I thought. Of course I can. The hat said. Now, let's see your father was a Slytherin, and your mother a Hufflepuff. You have the wits of a Ravenclaw but you are to afraid to use them. Deep in your heart, you have the courage of a Gryffindor. You will discover it eventually. The hat mused. I sat shocked. How did it know that about me? Then the hat almost deafened me when it roared "GRYFFINDOR!"
The Gryffindor table erupted into cheers. I finally looked up and took in the Hall. It was maybe twice the size of my house, if not three. The ceiling was reflecting the dark, cloudy sky outside. There were floating candles illuminating the Hall. There were four tables, probably for each of the houses. I went over to the Gryffindor table and sat next to Lily and the girls, except for Dorcas. "I'm so happy you're a Gryffindor!" Lily squealed, hugging me as the other girls voiced their excitement. I awkwardly patted Lily's back. The only person I had ever hugged was my mother. Then, food appeared on the table. I put a sausage and a spoon of potatoes on my plate." That's all you're going to eat?!" Marlene asked. She had three sausages, a chicken leg and a spoon of baked potatoes on her plate. "I... Um... Don't eat much." I said. Not long after that, the Marauders came over. I noticed Lily pointedly ignored them, especially James. I would have to ask her about that later. I talked to them for a bit, and then they left to go to the common room.
"Why were you ignoring James?" I asked Lily when we arrived in our common room. "I hate him." Lily replied simply.

Aaand that's chapter two done. Sorry if it was a bit rushed, I don't really like writing the Sorting.