Chapter 8: Bye For Now

Ⓨ/Ⓝ'ⓢ Ⓟⓞⓥ
I sat with the Maruaders for the train ride, deciding to ride with the girls on the way back. I hadn't spent much time with the boys anyway. Peter and Remus were both going home to their houses, while James and Sirius were going to James's house. I was honestly a bit bitter about Sirius's choice to run away. I had seen the way it affected Regulus. But I didn't let it show. "Are you all excited for break?" I asked the boys. "Very!" James said and Sirius nodded enthusiastically. I turned to Peter and Remus. Peter nodded happily and Remus hummed in agreement. "What about you Y/N?" Sirius asked. "Very! I miss my parents so much." I half-lied. I missed my mother but not my father. "Who are your parents?" Peter asked. "Not important." I said. I had gotten better at brushing off everyone's questions, and they weren't the type to press me. Then, I saw Regulus pass by our compartment. Then he doubled back and knocked. I signaled for him to come in. "Uhh....sorry to disturb... I was wondering if I could talk to Y/N." he said, rubbing the back of his neck and blushing. "Of course." I told him. Then I turned to the boys. "I won't be long, don't kill each other." I told them sternly. "Yes ma'am." Sirius said. I walked to the compartment door. Just as I was about to walk out, I turned back. "Oh, and James? No annoying Lily." I told him and walked away. "That was... Unexpected." Regulus said as we walked into an empty compartment. "You need to know how to handle them." I shrugged. We sat in silence for a few minutes. "Are you ok? About going home, I mean." I asked softly. "I....I'm kind of scared honestly." Regulus answered, looking away. I put my hand on his arm. "Talk to me." I urged. "When Sirius was there he.... He kept me out of trouble by getting in trouble himself. Now....I'm scared they're going to hit me." Regulus said, turning back to me. I saw a bit of fear in his eyes. "You'll be fine Reg." I assured him. He smiled. "Thank you." he whispered. "No problem." I told him.
Soon, Regulus was walking me back to my compartment. "Merry Christmas, Reg." I told him. "Merry Christmas." he said back to me.
"What's got you all cosy with my brother?" Sirius asked. "We're friends." I shrugged. Sirius didn't look convinced, but I wasn't about to pursue the subject with him.

🅡🅔🅖🅤🅛🅤🅢'🅢 🅟🅞🅥
When I got back to my compartment from seeing Y/N, I felt somewhat calmer about going home. Not that I was excited or anything, I just wasn't dreading it as much. Almost too soon, we were pulling into the station. I got off the train and looked around. I saw Sirius running off with James Potter. I quickly looked away, the sight being too painful. My eyes landed on Y/N. She was greeting a woman who I assumed was her mother. I let a smile grace my lips before tearing my eyes away. I finally found my parents, who had disgusted expressions on their faces, as per usual. "Regulus, come." my mother said, grabbing my shoulder with unnecessary force. She Apparated us to the house, and excused me to my room. I hurriedly climbed the stairs, and began unpacking my trunk. "Master Regulus, that is my job." Kreacher said as he Apparated into my room. "It's fine, Kreacher." I told him with a shake of my head. Kreacher stayed with me while I unpacked, and I told him about Hogwarts and Y/N. Soon enough, it was time for dinner. My father was out so it was just my mother and I.
"How is Hogwarts?" she asked stiffly as we ate. I resisted the urge to shrug. "It's going well, mother." I told her. I wanted to tell her about Y/N, and I wanted to ask her if she knew Draven L/N had a daughter. But I didn't. I promised Y/N I was going to keep her secret.

Ⓨ/Ⓝ'ⓢ Ⓟⓞⓥ
Luckily for me, my father was away when we got home. My mother waved her wand, and my trunk disappeared, probably appearing in my room. "How was Hogwarts?" my mum asked warmly as she made a cup of tea for the two of us. "It's good." I smiled. I hesitsted before continuing. "I made several friends." I told her. "Like who?" she asked. "James Potter, Sirius Black, Remus Lupin, Peter Pettigrew, Lily Evans, Marlene McKinnon, Mary McDonald, Dorcas Meadows and Regulus Black." I told my mum. She smiled happily. "I'm glad you made so many friends. I was worried you'd have trouble." my mum admitted. I nodded in understanding. "Where's Father?" I asked. "He's out working, he won't be back for a week." my mother explained. I nodded with a small smile. "What do you want to eat?" my mum asked. "Umm... I don't mind." I told my mum. "Ok, I'll surprise you." she smiled. I nodded with a smile. "I'm going to write a letter." I told my mum and went to write to Regulus. When I was finished I went back downstairs. "Mum! Can I use Cedar?" I asked. "Of course dear." she said to me. I went up to my parents' room and went over to the owl. "Bring this to Regulus Black, 12 Grimmauld Place." I said, tying the letter to Cedar's leg. He then flew away. I left the window open, so he could come in when he came back. Then I went downstairs. "Will I set the table?" I asked my mum. "Ok, go ahead." she answered. I set the table. My mum put the plates on the table. We were having breaded cod and mashed potatoes, one of my favourite meals. "Thanks, mum!" I said enthusiastically, and began eating.

🅡🅔🅖🅤🅛🅤🅢'🅢 🅟🅞🅥
When I finished eating, I excused myself to my room. There was a cream-coloured owl by the window. I opened the window and the owl flew in. I untied the letter from its leg. It was from Y/N. There were two pieces of paper in the envelope. I took the bigger one out first, and read it.

Dear Regulus,
I know we literally saw each other a few hours ago, but I've already written you a letter. I didn't want to forget! Anyway, my dad is away for the first week of break. I'm ecstatic. But... I am worried about what will happen when he gets back. I honestly hope he gets held up. Anyway, how's your evening? I hope your parents aren't bothering you. I wish you could come iver to my house.... But I don't think they'd let you. Your parents I mean. They'll probably think I'm a muggleborn after all. I miss you and our late night talks already. Love,
Y/N

I smiled at the letter. Then I remembered the other piece of paper. I took it out, and her address was written on it. I sat down and quickly wrote her letter back, before tying the envelope to her owl, who was still in my room. Then I went to get changed into my pyjamas and I went to bed, thinking of Y/N.

Hey guys! I've been rather busy, that's why I haven't posted in a while. Anyway, here's your chapter.