Chapter 6: The First Conversation

Ⓨ/Ⓝ'ⓢ Ⓟⓞⓥ
Halfway through November, I woke up from a horrible nightmare. I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep, so I went up to the Astronomy Tower. Regulus was there, standing by the railing, watching over the grounds. "May I?" I asked, pointing to the spot next to him. He turned around, startled. Then he realised it was me and nodded, with a small smile on his lips. I stood next to him, mimicking the way he was standing. We stood in silence for a bit. All I could think about was the nightmare. I needed to tell someone, but I couldn't. No, I wouldn't. I was too scared of being judged, or hurt, or humiliated. But the pain, the fear, was eating me up from the inside. Why did I have to be like this.

🅡🅔🅖🅤🅛🅤🅢'🅢 🅟🅞🅥
After a bit of standing in silence, I noticed Y/N was getting a bit worked up and restless. I wanted to ask her what was wrong, I did, but I wanted to respect her. If she didn't want to tell me, I wasn't going to pry. But I didn't want to let her be like that either. I knew what it was like to be alone with thoughts like that, and it wasn't nice. So I decided to talk to her. "We should get to know each other better." It came out before I even thought about it. I was sure I was blushing. At first, I didn't think Y/N heard me. But then she turned to me, an almost grateful look on her face. "Ok." she replied simply. "What's your favourite color?" I asked her. "Hmm." she began, and stood thinking for a few minutes. "Purple." she answered. "Why?" I asked her. "Ummm.... I just like the color, I guess." she answered me. I nodded. "What about you?" she asked, after a moment of silence. "I think... Green." I told her. "Is it because you're a Slytherin?" Y/N asked genuinely. "No I- I guess I like it because it was the only proper color I was allowed to have, without disappointing my parents. They obviously would've preferred all black, but green was a close second." I stammered. Y/N looked at me with an indiscernable emotion in her eyes. Pity? Sadness? I wasn't sure, but I kind of liked it.

Ⓨ/Ⓝ'ⓢ Ⓟⓞⓥ
We stood in silence, neither of us knowing what to say." Thank you." I whispered." What for?" Regulus asked. He looked shocked. "For distracting me. I - um... I wasn't having the best thoughts." I mumbled looking at my feet and blushing. "Oh that." he said. "It's nothing. I know what that's like." Regulus told me. After a beat of silence he said again. "If you ever want to talk about....anything.... I'll be here. I-I know you might not want to open up but...." he trailed off. I let the offer hang in the air for a minute. "Thanks, maybe I will. Same goes for you." I looked up at him when I said the last part. I met his eyes. I hadn't realised before how beautiful they were. I cleared my throat and blushed, realising I was probably staring. Regulus didn't seem to take notice, instead, he looked away and back at the grounds. We stood in silence for another bit. "I.... I think I'm going to go to bed now." Regulus said. I nodded. "Oh and Y/N?" he said, turning around when he was by the door. "Try and get some sleep." he mimicked my words from one other time we met. I nodded. I stayed at the Astronomy Tower for a few more minutes before going back to my dorm room.
"Y/N? Where were you?" Lily asked, rubbing her eyes as I settled in bed. "Sorry I didn't mean to wake you."I said, avoiding her question. Luckily, she didn't seem in a mood to talk, as she just lay back down and fell asleep. I wished I could fall asleep that easily. I did end up falling asleep though.
I woke up the next morning wrecked. Everyone was gone from the dorm room. They were probably at breakfast. I slowly got dressed and went to breakfast. "Y/N!" Marlene called, waving me over. "We didn't want to wake you." Mary explained. "Thanks." I said. "I'm already wrecked." Mary laughed.
That night I went up to the Astronomy Tower. Regulus was already there. "Hey." I said. "Hi." he replied. "Can I ask you a question?" I asked him hesitantly. "Go on." he nodded. "Do you believe that.... That purebloods are better?" I asked. I was nervous for his answer. He didn't reply for a bit, then slowly shook his head. "I just pretend so." he told me. I nodded in satisfaction. "What about you?" he asked me. "I don't believe either." I said quietly, as if my father was standing right next to me. We stood in a bit more silence. "Are you going to go home for Christmas break?" Regulus asked me. "I-I don't.... I don't know." I admitted. "How so?" he asked, tilting his head ever so slightly. "It's just.... There's a lot of factors that play into it." I told him. He nodded. "You don't have to tell me." he said quietly. "No I... I think I will." I whispered. "Ok." Regulus said. I didn't face him when I spoke, but I knew he was watching me. "I don't really want to go home because of my father..... But at the same time I want to because of my mother.... Then it also depends if ny father wants me home. If he does..... I have to go. I also don't want to stay if my friends aren't staying...." I said. I hadn't opened up to anyone that much. I forced myself to not look at him. He stayed silent for a bit, processing what I said." I think.... You should do whatever makes you happy." he said quietly. I let a light smile settle on my lips." And you?" I asked Regulus. "My parents want me home." he said bitterly. I nodded in understanding.

🅡🅔🅖🅤🅛🅤🅢'🅢 🅟🅞🅥
Y/N was a really understanding person. I kind of liked opening up to her, even if I didn't do it much. She tried to understand me, even if she didn't. Were we friends? Probably not. Would I like to be? Probably. We stayed up at the Tower for a bit more in silence. We left at the same time. "Goodnight Regulus." Y/N said to me as we separated. "Goodnight Y/N." I said to her with a light smile on my lips.

Here's a bit of a longer chapter for you! Hope you enjoyed.