Chapter 5: Halloween

Ⓨ/Ⓝ'ⓢ Ⓟⓞⓥ
September slowly faded into October, and I found myself settling into a routine. I divided my time between the Marauders and the girls. I was keeping up pretty well with schoolwork. At least once a week I met Regulus at the Astronomy tower. I was slowly getting more comfortable with him, but still not quite enough to share my secrets with him. My mother secretly sent me letters that arrived every Sunday morning, and I sent her letters every Monday afternoon. My father's letters arrived every Saturday morning, and I wrote him back right away. I was beyond excited for the Halloween feast. According to both my friend groups, the food was delicious. Then, the Marauders were going to hold a party in the common room which I would attend for an hour. Then I would spend another hour chatting with the girls, before going to bed.

🅡🅔🅖🅤🅛🅤🅢'🅢 🅟🅞🅥
I woke up on Halloween with a rare sense of excitement bubbling in my stomach. I didn't get excited about much, but the Halloween feast was definitely on that list. I found myself going to the Astronomy Tower almost every night. Sometimes Y/N was there, sometimes she wasn't. I felt myself getting more and more comfortable in her presence, and soon I'd be able to tell her about what bothered me, if she would listen.

Ⓨ/Ⓝ'ⓢ Ⓟⓞⓥ
That morning, I went down for breakfast late, with the Marauders. I saw the girls sitting at one end of the table, so I dragged the Marauders as far as I could. Then we sat down. We ate some breakfast, but not too much, as we didn't want to fill ourselves up before the feast. Just as we were leaving though, James walked over to Lily. I groaned aloud and Remus laughed as we followed him. He messed up his hair and puffed out his chest as he confidently strutted over to Lily. I rolled my eyes at his antics. "Alright Evans?" he said smoothly. Lily rolled her eyes and ignored him. He sat next to her and started piling foid onto his plate. I rolled my eyes and left to do some homework.
I sat down in the library with two scrolls. I was determined to finish my Potions essay and my Transfiguration essay. For Potions I had to write about the effects of Felix Felicis and hiw to correctly brew it. For Transfiguration I had an essay about animagi. It was dark by the time I was tiding up. I was shocked at how much time I had spent writing two reasonable essays. I raced up to the common room. Both of my friend groups were in the common room. "Y/N! We were just about to leave." Marlene said to me. "Ok, give me a moment!" I told her and ran up to my dorm. I threw my bag next to my bed and took off my tie and cloak. Then I went to the girls. "Ready." I said, and we left.
I was burning with excitement as we settled in the Great Hall. It looked absolutely splendid. The regular candles weren't floating, but the Hall was lit with pumpkins in varied sizes. There were bats flying around near the ceiling. My friends were right. The food was to die for. I piled my plate high with delicious food and then dessert afterwards. "How do you like the food, Y/N?" Lily asked me with a smile on her face. "It's amazing - I haven't ever tasted food this good!" I told her, eyes shining.
The party was even more fun. The boys had snuck some Firewhiskey in, but I was too scared to get drunk, so I declined their offer, sticking to buterbeer.
Then, me and the girls talked fir ages about anything that came to our minds. When the topic of family and childhood came up, I fell silent. When one of the girls addressed me specifically, I made something up, not getting into much detail. I slept soundly that night, not needing to go to the Astronomy Tower.

🅡🅔🅖🅤🅛🅤🅢'🅢 🅟🅞🅥
The night of Halloween I found myself climbing the steos uo to the Astronomy Tower. I hoped with my whole heart that Y/N would be there. She wasn't. I tried so hard not to think about this oast summer, but it was difficult, especially when I was alone.

So this is probably the shortest chapter so far. How are you enjoying the slow burn? Don't worry, we'll be getting somewhere next chapter.... But nowhere near a relationship yet - if there will be one. Have a good day/night!