Chapter Eighteen

"Back to baby Summers? Really?" I rolled my eyes when our embrace ended.

"Have I ever stopped calling you that?" His eyebrow arched.

"You haven't called me that since the week before I turned eighteen," I told him matter-of-factly.

"Really? Huh. I didn't notice," he shrugged. Well, I did notice.

"Anyway, I'm in my twenties now. You legally can not call me that anymore," I stuck out my tongue.

"If you behave like that, I can and will," he chuckled.

"It's nice to see you haven't changed at all over the past year," I punched his shoulder.

"Me? I would never," he pointed at himself in the most innocent way possible.

"Sure, buddy," I laughed. I couldn't keep the smile off my face.

"What are you so happy about?" He asked me.

"Nothing special. It's mom's birthday in a few minutes," I said.

"Uh-huh, let's go with that." He was smiling like an idiot too. I dare make the assumption that he's happy to see me too.

"So, you're here to surprise her?" I asked.

"Yes, I'm here to surprise her."

"You can wait with me outside if you'd like to do it at midnight," I told him and sat back down.

"Do what at midnight?" He asked suggestively.

"Surprise my mother. You have a dirty mind, Mister," I told him.

"That's what I meant. I have no idea what you're talking about," he tried saying seriously.

We kept smiling at each other and not really saying anything. That is until my alarm rang, signaling the beginning of August 7th.

"Time to go," I said, standing up.

"But I'm so comfortable here," he whined like a little kid.

"Andy, if my parents come outside and see us smiling at each other, they'll think we've both gone crazy. Now come on, you little baby," I said, grabbing his hand. I let go as soon as he was up.

We opened the patio door and entered our house. We tried walking as quietly as possible to our living room and whisper-yelled: "Surprise!"

"What are you- Oh my god, Andy!" My mom squealed and jumped up to hug her friend.

"I thought you weren't coming until later in the afternoon," she said.

"Well, I thought it's been too long since I've been here. Why postpone it?" He said.

"Is Hannah with you?" She asked, looking behind her friend.

"No, she'll be here for the party, but she won't be staying over. She's really busy at the moment," he explained.

"Oh, okay. Well, it means a lot she can find time for my party with her busy schedule," mom smiled.

"Happy birthday, mom," I said when they stopped talking. I gave her my gift (a book containing all of Jane Austen's novels, which also happened to be purple - her favorite color).

"Woah, this is so pretty. Thank you, honey." She hugged me and kissed the top of my head.

"My pleasure," I smiled.

"Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to finally catch some zs," I wished them all a good night and went upstairs.

I showered and brushed my teeth, and then I went to bed. The smile never left my face. I've never been so happy about seeing somebody. It's wild, the way he makes me feel all the best emotions. Well, he's been the cause of more than a few of the worst emotions as well, but right now, all I'm feeling is joy.