Chapter Twenty-seven

Andy stayed with me until the exhibition opening. Knowing he'd be there made me all the more nervous. But I pulled through. It was a great success, all-in-all. I found it funny when he told me how impressed he was. Apparently, he had no idea how good I was at what I did. Don't know if that's actually a compliment. Nevertheless, he left for the States two days after the opening. He wanted to see how good of a guide I was as well. After he made sure that I really did know my stuff, he left. I started missing him the moment he boarded the plane.

We've remained in touch these past two months. I updated him on everything in my life on a daily basis, and he returned the favour. I've gotten used to us being friends again and I finally understand how big the hole he left in my heart was. Even though I'll miss my two best British buds and my job, I can't wait to get home.

Before I knew it, the moment came. I was finally sitting on a plane back home, reminiscing on everything that's happened in the past five years. How I was sitting on the plane back then and crying my eyes out, how I searched for a job for a better part of the next year, how I met Luna and then Henry. It only got better from there, if I ignore the void I felt because of a certain someone. And then he came to London. How that changed everything. I've been good since then and I've been very respectful of the boundaries he had set between us. I do wonder if we'll ever be more than that. I am a fully fledged adult now. Mom and dad are no longer allowed to freak out about whom I date. That is, if he'd agree to it. How did his imaginary scenario go all those years ago when he told me he was in love with me?

I think it was my turn now to make up for lost time. To step up my game and make him go on a proper date with me. I always relied on him to chase me. But it wouldn't be fair of me to expect him to do the same again. Not this time. Not when I am the one to blame for both of us losing five years of our lives.

I spent the entire flight home trying to remember every detail of his imaginary scenario. I also planned out my own spin on it. I couldn't just copy his idea, could I? I think the best idea would be to take a page out of my parents' book. And his scenario did mention a very specific song. It was perfect for us. 'Paint It Black' literally captured all our ups and downs. I've listened to it so many times that I already knew it by heart. I needed to get his band to agree to help me. But I think they would. The only problem was that I would have to tell them the truth about us. I knew how close they all were. I think they would want their frontman to be happy. And I just hope that they'll agree that I am the one who could make him happy.

I wrote out my entire plan, just so I didn't forget anything. And by the time I'd written down the last detail, the captain announced that we would be landing. I smiled at the thought of possibly being with Andy again in just a matter of weeks.

On my walk from the plane to where I knew my family would be waiting for me, I searched through my contacts until I found the people whose help I needed. I messaged all of them that I needed to see them as soon as possible.

I put my phone away and smiled at my plan. It could all go terribly wrong but at that moment, I was happy with the possibility of it going right.

My parents came into view and I saw Dorian running toward me, enveloping me in a bone crushing hug when he reached me.

"Hey buddy, how are you?" I hugged him back.

"I'm so happy you're home, Jo."

"So am I, little buddy," I patted his head happily. Dad and mom joined us and both of them hugged us too.

"You have no idea how long I've waited to have all four of us together like this," mom sighed through her tears of joy.

"Mom, we were all together over Christmas. That was like five months ago," I laughed.