Chapter Twenty-eight

If I were to name this chapter of my life, it would be called "A Series of Unfortunate Encounters with my Parents." It all started about two months after Andy and I had started dating officially. We weren't out-in-public official yet because we had decided on telling my parents before everyone else found out.

Andy wanted to tell them straight away, but I refused. I knew their reaction wouldn't be good, and so I wanted to have at least a few good weeks with him.

So we compromised, setting the date for the big reveal on July 1st. That way, mom and dad would have a month to get used to it before mom's birthday.

After we set our date, we both started preparing my parents for meeting our significant others. They were happy that I've finally decided to date again after the entire Adam fiasco 5 years ago. I told them that I would be bringing my boyfriend home on the first of July, but that it didn't need to be an entire event. Still, mom baked muffins, and dad made his signature pasta: both of which I knew for a fact my boyfriend would appreciate. What I didn't know was whether we would even get to eat or if they would totally flip and kick Andy out right away. With each passing day, I became increasingly nervous. The night before, I couldn't even sleep. I stayed the night at Andy's, telling my parents I'd arrive early next morning. They wanted to know if we'd come together, but Andy had some work to do in the morning, and so he would arrive at noon.

Anyway, the day finally arrived. I came home at 7 and went straight to bed, hoping I could get some shut eye before noon. Luckily, I fell asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow. My alarm went off at 11, and I got up reluctantly. I went straight to my bathroom, showered, brushed my teeth, washed my hair, and dried it, and then finally, I got dressed. Just as I was buttoning the last button on my shirt, the doorbell rang. I quickly exited my room and yelled: "I'll get it!" But it was too late. When I reached the door, Andy and my dad were already standing there.

"What are you doing here, man? Did you want to meet Jo's new boyfriend too?" Dad asked a very nervous looking Andy.

"Actually, I'm him," Andy said, scratching the back of his neck. "What?" Dad asked him. "I am Josie's boyfriend," he repeated.
It was as if everything had happened in slow motion. Dad's jaw fell all the way to the floor. "Dad?" I tried getting his attention. When he closed his mouth, he balled his hands into fists. The vein on his forehead popped out the way it did every time he became enraged. Then he started screaming at Andy. "YOU ARE WHAT? SHE IS HALF YOUR AGE! HOW DARE YOU?!"

Dad's screaming caught mom's attention, and she ran to us from the kitchen. "What's going on?" She asked, standing next to dad. By this time, I was already standing next to Andy. I took a subtle step in front of him just as dad spoke through his teeth: "Meet Josie's new boyfriend."

"HER WHAT? SHE IS HALF YOUR AGE! SHE IS OUR DAUGHTER! YOU WERE THERE WHEN SHE WAS BORN! THAT'S FUCKING DISGUSTING!" mom screamed and tried hitting my boyfriend. Dad grabbed her from behind and tried holding her back. "LET ME GO, RONNIE! HE DEFILED OUR LITTLE GIRL! I'LL RIP HIS HEAD OFF!" She was kicking and screaming.

I expected the reaction to be bad, but not this bad.

"STOP IT!" I yelled. It got their attention. I grabbed Andy's hand and started speaking. "I love him. I've loved him for a while now. And that won't stop. If you can't accept that, then... I don't know. You guys mean everything to me, and it hurts that you wouldn't let me have a choice in this matter. Please, try accepting it. I'm begging you."

"I'm sorry, Josie, but we can't. Andy has been a part of our family since before you were born. For God's sake, he and your mom used to have a sexual relationship! It's not appropriate. It's unfathomable that you two would even start thinking that dating eachother is a good idea. No, it's impossible. Biersack, just leave," dad spoke. Mom was still seething in his embrace.