4- Night of the Graduation Ceremony, Humanity Rises Again Part Two

--- two years later, the year of 849 ---

The 104th trainee group runs through the built up forest on a groggy, foggy, windy and rainy day as they all carry heavy rucksacks on their backs. Armin, one of the weaker members of the group starts to fall behind the other members slightly.

"You're too slow. Run, you laggards" Shadis says from his horse as he spots Armin, "what's wrong, Arlert? You're falling behind. Is it too heavy for you? Will you be the one guy to remove his equipment? If this were a real fight, you'd be titan food right now".

"Damn it!" Armin says as Shadis speeds up on his horse.

"Give me that" Reiner says from next to Armin as he takes the backpack, "at this rate, we'll fail out. We're being graded on this exercise".

"If you do that, you'll lose points as well" Armin says as he looks at Reiner.

"Just don't let them find out!" Reiner says with a smirk, "and don't make me change my mind!".

"I will not slow everyone down, even if it kills me!" Armin says as he watches Reiner run ahead.

Armin runs towards Reiner and grabs his backpack as he throws it onto his back and he runs even further ahead.

--- in one of the many meetings rooms ---

"So is this the list from the 104th trainee corps?" a woman asks as she sits down at her desk.

"Yes, Ma'am. These are the remaining trainees" the man who brought the files in says.

"Thank you" the woman says as she starts to flip through the people's files.

Reiner Braun. A strong soldier, physically and mentally, and trusted by his comrades. Armin Arlert. While lacking in physical strength, he's demonstrated an extraordinary aptitude for his studies. Annie Leonhart. Her strike form is flawless, but she works poorly with others and tends to isolate herself. Bertolt Hoover. He has great potential but lack initiative. Jean Kirschstein. A master of 3D manouvour gear, but his brash personality causes friction with the team. Sasha Blause. She has unconventional, good instincts, but they make her unsuited to teamwork. Conny Springer. He demonstrates superior physical agility, but lacks mental agility. Mikasa Ackermann. A master of all subjects, and widely considered one of the best in our history. Eren Jaeger. He has no outstanding talents, but he's worked harder than anyone to prove his worth. And he's more motivated than anyone to achieve his goals.

The woman reads to herself as she smirks.

So we've got a good pack of them this time around. Levi and Erwin will be happy. Let's just hope Erwin will do well in convincing them to join.

--- back at the trainee grounds ---

Reiner shouts as he runs at Eren with a fake knife as Eren puts his arms up. He hits Reiner's chest and grabs his arm, flipping him over him.

"Ouch" Reiner complains as he lays down on his back.

"Sorry, but I'm not one for holding back" Eren says as he holds out his hand to Reiner.

"Now it's your turn to be the bandit" Reiner says as he gets up, grabbing Eren's hand, "what's wrong?".

"What's the point of this training?" Eren asks as he takes the fake knife from Reiner, "why are soldiers training to fight people like this? Only idiots would fight an opponent unarmed".

"Where's your sense of responsibility?" Reiner asks as he looks at Eren, "we're soldiers. We may be called on to fight at a severe disadvantage, and retreat will not be an option. We must be able to handle any opponent, whether than means using a canon or martial arts. That is our responsibility as soldiers. Forget about that, look!" he says as he and Reiner watch Annie as she walks by.