19- Bite, 57th Expedition Beyond The Walls Part Three

Evelyn fiddles down the side of her leg as she pulls out the flare gun. She prepares it and holds her arm up to the air as everyone covers their ears. She pulls the trigger as the shot is fired and the noise rings around them.

"A noise grenade?" Eren asks as he looks at her confused.

"What is your job?" Levi asks as he turns around and he looks at Eren, "to just let yourself be swayed by whatever you're feeling in the moment? No, it's not. Our squad's job is to keep you from getting a single scratch on yourself, whilst obeying Evelyn's every order to the last word. Although it may seem as though I take charge more often, Evelyn is the one in this squad that makes the decisions. So I will listen to her, until my last dying breath. So you should too. Even if it costs our lives".

Is wasn't to keep watch on me?

Eren asks himself as he looks at Levi.

"We keep going on our horses, got it?" Evelyn asks as she looks forward.

"Roger" Petra and Levi shout.

"Keep going? For how long?" Eren asks as he looks at Evelyn, "and it's right on top of us.

Three more soldier's appear from behind the titan as they try to defeat it but it's to avail as the three of them are killed within mere seconds.

"Evelyn! The reinforcements are being taken down!" Eren says as he looks behind him, "if we don't help, more and more people will be wiped out".

"Eren, eyes on the road!" Gunther orders as he looks at Eren.

"Sir!" Eren pleads as he looks at Gunther.

"Keep up your pace!" Eldo yells from the other side of Eren, "stay at top speed".

"But, sir!" Eren says as he looks at Eldo, "why? If Squad Evelyn and Levi doesn't defeat it, who will?".

More soldiers come in and try to take down the titan but they all continue to die.

"Another one!" Eren yells, "he died but maybe we could've saved him! One's still fighting. We could still make it!".

"Eren! Eyes on the road! Keep going!" Petra yells as she looks at Eren.

"Are you telling me to look away?" Eren asks as he looks at her worriedly, "to abandon my comrades and run?".

"Yes, that's right!" Petra says shamelessly, "obey your sister's orders! Obey our Captain's orders!".

"You don't think it hurts your sister to do this, you brat?" Levi asks as he looks back at Eren, "your sister has been doing this job for over ten years, you think this gets any easier? It doesn't! She's letting people die for the sake of the mission, people she might have trained with, people she might have been friends with! You don't think your sister wants to turn and help them? Just look at her, you idiot!".

Eren looks over at Evelyn who faces forwards, tears slipping down her cheeks.

"Evelyn" Eren says softly as he realises how badly he's acting as he makes a decision as he holds his hand to his face, "I'm sorry Evelyn, but I have to disobey your orders!".

"Eren, what are you doing?" Petra asks as Eren goes to bite himself, "you're only allowed to do that if your life is in danger. You promised us! Eren!".

"You aren't wrong" Evelyn says from the front of the group, "if you want to do it, do it. I can tell. He's a real monster. And it has nothing to do with his titan power. No matter what power you use to supress him, no matter what cage you put him in, he will never submit to anyone. Eren, the difference between your decision and mine is experience. But you don't have to rely on that. Choose. Believe in yourself. Or believe in Survey Corps and myself. I don't know, I never have. I can believe in my own abilities or the choices of the companions I trust. But no one ever knows how it will turn out. So choose for yourself whichever decision you'll regret least".