16- What Should Be Done, Night Before The Counteroffensive Part Three

"When did you last change shafts?" the man in control of all of the manouver gear says as he reads through his list.

"Six days ago after the clean up operation" Sasha says as she looks down at the man.

Ever since the attack on Sawney and Bean, Commander Erwin had the people in control of making and distributing the manouver gear check all of the records to see which of the troops were responsible for the two's deaths.

"Just as the record says" the woman says from next to the man as she writes something down on her clipboard.

"Okay, next" the man says as Sasha salutes before walking off, "you".

"Krista Lenz, squad 42" Krista says as she walks over, saluting to the man.

They continue to go through everyone's manouver gear to check who did it.

"They must've really hated titans" Conny says from next to Armin.

"Yeah, but in reality, they've ended up helping the titans" Armin says as he watches everyone get their equipment checked, "their desire for vengeance may have been fulfilled, but it's a blow to humanity".

"I think I kind of get why they did it since I'm an idiot too" Conny says with a frown, "before I saw the titans, I seriously planned on joining the survey corps. But I never want to see another one. And today, we have to choose which force to join" Conny says as he looks over at Jean.

Even Jean seriously...

Conny says to himself.

"Hey Annie, what did you say?" Conny asks as he looks at Annie, "even Jean said he's going to join the Survey Corps".

"Huh? Jean said that?" Armin asks in disbelief.

"Nothing in particular" Annie says as she looks straight ahead of her.

"You're joining the Military Police right?" Conny inquires as he raises a brow, "maybe I should, too".

"If someone told you to die, would you do it?" Annie asks as she side eyes Conny.

"What? Of course not" Conny scoffs.

"Then why not make your own decision?" Annie asks as she tucks her hair behind her ear, "Armin, what about you?".

"I think if you know why you have to die, there are times when you simply must" Armin says as he looks down slightly, "not that I want to".

"I see... you've made your choice" Annie says with a small nod.

"I've been thinking about doing it for a long time" Armin says with a soft smile.

"Serious? You too, Armin?" Conny asks as he looks at Armin.

"You're weak, but you have guts" Annie says with a small smirk.

"Thanks" Armin says as he looks at Annie, "Annie, you're actually pretty nice, aren't you? It seems like you don't want us to join the Survey Corps. Isn't there a reason you want to join the Military Police?".

"Not really" Annie says as she looks at Armin, "it's only that I want to survive".

Back at the headquarters for Levi and Evelyn's squad, Eldo and Gunther sit outside with some drinks.

"It looks like they didn't find any soldiers who've used their manouver gear without permission" Gunther says as he looks away from Eldo, "then who did it?".

"No idea" Eldo says as he drinks his drink, "right now, I'm more worried about the upcoming induction ceremony. How many amongst the new troops will be crazy enough to join us?".