Out of Brookie Territory

A/N: Hey everyone! Hope you had a fantastic week and if you didn't, I hope this week is better. Sorry this is late, I went back to school this week and it's been extremely busy. I'm trying to post a new chapter every Tuesday. Anyways, I hope you all have an amazing week! Enjoy!

Flashback: July, 1892

Jaime's POV

Ace and Spot joined us on the dock.

"You guys hungry," Spot asked.

"Yeah, but there's nothin' in Brooklyn that has anything less than $.6," Mac said.

"I know exactly where we're eating then," I said. "Come on!"

I dragged them across the bridge and into Tibby's.

"Books. You're gonna get us killed," Ace said.

"And how exactly will I's be doing that," I asked.

"Brooklyn and 'Hatten don't exactly mix," Mac explained.

"We'll be fine," Spot said.

Mac and Ace didn't seem to think so. They started hugging each other and cried?

"This is the day we die," they shouted.

"We'll be fine," Spot said. "Ya big babies."

"Hey," Mac shouted. "Don't call us babies."

"Then quit acting like one," I said, rolling my eyes. "If it makes you feel better, let's just say I know a good hiding place."

Ace's POV

It's official. She's insane. Gosh Brookies in 'Hatten. Damn it. Brookies grew on me. Well here goes nothing. Gulp.

Jaime's POV

Honestly we'll be fine. I'm positive. We'll be fine. Right?

We started walking to Tibby's and I'm starting to think this was a bad idea.

"Yo Brooklyn," a kid with an eye patch said.

"Think yer in the wrong place," A kid with curly hair said.

"Hold up," I said. I looked at the kid with the curly hair.

"Before you's kick us out," I said. Didn't you's just come from the Battery?"

The kid with curly hair definitely had a tempa on him.

"Meyers," a kid said. "Don't."

"Seems like you's don't know yer place," he started. "So let me sort this out for ya."

He looked at the kid with the eyepatch and then looked back at us. "We were just takin' care of some business, so I's suggest you leave before someone gets hurt."

I took notice of his face. Him and the kid with the patch both seemed like they soaked each other real good. Both of them looked around Jack's age.

"Seems ya both got soaked real good,"Spot said.

"Wanna anotha soak'n," Mac said as he started cracking his knuckles.

"Spot has no idea what he's in for," Ace said.

"Come on Spot," I said.

"Mac. It ain't worth it," Ace said.

The kid with the curly hair liked fighting I assume.

"Nah let em'," he said.

The eyepatch kid joined in on this.

"Yeah me and Meyers here can take ya here any day, anytime," he said.

"Then how bout right now," Mac said.

"Oh gosh," I said.

Mac started arranging the fight, "I take Battery, he takes Harlem."

"Alright. Let's do this," the kids said.

"And here we go," Ace said frustrated.

Mac turned to me. "If Spot needs help I need ya to jump in."

I asked Mac, "Which one would I go for?"

"Eyepatch kid. Don't be fooled by the patch. He's a real good fighter. I think his name's Kid Blink. He's the co-leader of Harlem and that kid over there," he said. Then he pointed at the curly haired kid, "And that there is Mush Meyers, one of the most notorious fighters in New York. They're both enemies, but sometimes they team up in rumbles like this. Got that."

I nodded. Good to know that they're enemies. Mac walked off across and stood in front of Mush, while Spot stood in front of Blink.

"Let's do this," Spot said.

Blink tried to jump Spot but luckily he dove under him. He tried swinging from behind but Spot ducked again and punched him hard in the back. He stumbled and punched Spot in the cheek. Basically they just kept swinging at each other. Mush and Mac got so bruised that Ace and one of the newsies from the battery had to drag them apart. It was basically just Spot and Blink swinging at each other. Then Blink tackled Spot and pinned him, giving his face a good soaken'. I don't know what it was. It was like an instinct. I tackled Blink and started giving him a good soaken' too. Eventually he got a black eye plus a bruised rib or two. Ace and Spot tried pulling me off him but I kind of kicked Spot in the same place I hit him with that book and probably broke Ace's pancreas. Eventually I backed off when I heard a familiar whistle.

"Cheese it! It's the bulls," I shouted.

I kept looking back to see if Jack was there. I don't know what I was expecting. For the bulls to have him or maybe for him to be running right behind us. Deep down I knew he wasn't there and to be honest I don't know if I'll see my brother again. It wouldn't be his fault of course, but kids die on these streets every day and the Refuge is the worst place of all, so many kids have died there. Snyder just doesn't care who lives or who dies. All he wants is the money the city sends. The more kids he has, the more money he'll get and the more Snyder stuffs into his pockets.

"Books. Cheese it," a voice shouted.

I must have zoned out again. I'm seriously turning more into Jack everyday. Spot grabbed me, while Ace grabbed Mac, and Mush basically carried Blink. The Battery and Harlem kids started running back to their towns, but Ace, Blink, Mush, Mac, Spot, and I ran as fast as we could.

"In here," I shouted.

I pushed open the door and we all slid inside.