Chapter 7: A Bully

Tatiana was never a stranger to bullies. She's an easy target, a little too nice, easy to take advantage of, and a little too shy to stand up for herself. Though this year she has managed to avoid it so far. Sure she's only in her third month of school but no one has picked on her once. It could be a lot of things that stopped it but she didn't care. She was just thankful she didn't have anyone bothering her. Until now but ever since Halloween, it's been started again. She didn't want to tell Cruz. He's busy with the wedding and this week he has a big convention to show off the slamigan. She didn't want to bother him with it. Besides when her dad tried nothing ever worked.

Annabelle was out of school today for a doctor's appointment so Tati was stuck without her for recess. She has a couple of friends in her class but they'd seem to be avoiding her so she thought she'd just swing alone. Kenny ended up wanting her to push him on the swings. So that's what she decided to do since there was nothing else to do.

"Oh look at this Tatiana is playing with someone she's as smart as," Trisha says to her friends from a little over. Tati ignores her as she gives Kenny a big push and sits on the swing next to him.

"Here Ken watch me you have to kick your legs like this." She says kicking her legs and starting to swing. Kenny grins as he starts swinging on his own. "Good job dude."

"Pathetic her only friend is a first grader." Lena, a girl Tatia used to call her friend says laughing. Tatia says nothing, and Kenny doesn't seem to notice the girls. The bell rings alerting the end of recess.

"Okay now to stop just slide your feet on the dirt," Tatia says as she stops her swing and gets off. Kenny gets off his swing and hurries to where his class was lining up.

Tatia goes to where her teacher was calling the whole class and she gets in line. Trisha and Lena get in line behind her. Tati can hear them whispering and laughing behind her. She puts her hood up looking at her feet as she follows the class. One in the cafeteria the kids disperse. Some leave to grab their packed lunches, Tatia included. The rest of the kids get in line for school lunch.

Tatia grabs her lunch box and goes back to find a table. She finds an empty one and opens her lunch box. She pulls out the note that lies on top of the bagged-up food.

"Have a great day Mija! The firehouse will be waiting to hear all about it when you get there. I love you - Uncle Cruz."

A little heart was drawn beside his name. Tati smiles at it as Trisha and Lena come over. They look at the note in her hand before pulling it out of her hands.

"Give it back!" Tatia says glaring at them.

"Or what you'll go cry to your daddy? Oh, wait." Trisha says with fake sympathy.

"Don't talk about my dad. Just give me the note back Trish."

"Sure here it is." Trisha rips it in half before tossing it on the table. She laughs as she walks away with Lena.

Tatiana looks at the paper sighing she puts the two pieces in her pocket. She'll tape it up later. She begins eating her lunch in silence just waiting to get to the firehouse.

–––After School–––

Tatia hurries up the apron not stopping at the monument. Cruz looks down the apron at where she was marching up a bummed look on her face. Another thing to add to the things going wrong this week. Herrmann could be losing his command of 51, and Kelly is being transferred out of squad, not to mention the copycat slamigan. Tatia makes it to the squad table tossing her bag down beside the table.

"Mija what's wrong?"

"Bad day." She says plopping down on an empty chair.

"Yeah, that's been going around. What'll make it better?" Joe asks sitting up.