Chapter 18: Broken

Tatiana sits across from Brett at the table as she eats her breakfast. She looks at the color swatches that Brett, and her bio mom, Julie were looking at. Cruz was at the counter writing the note for her lunch that he just finished packing.

"I like the yellow it's so warm and sunny for a nursery," Brett tells Julie smiling.

"Yellow was the color of my nursery. I've seen photos." Tatia says before taking a big spoonful of her cereal.

"Yeah but which yellow? Saffron ivory or magnolia summer bloom?" Jules asks looking at the two swatches. This catches Cruz's attention and hurries over to put in his two cents.

"Oh definitely saffron Ivory," Cruz says before walking back around the counter with his hands up in defense.

"I like that one." Tatiana points at the saffron ivory as she stands up with her bowl following Cruz around the counter.

"Oh, I wanted to ask you guys. So Scott gets here on Friday with the rest of our things and thought we'd celebrate the move to Chicago with a dinner out. Any suggestions?"

"Alfonzo's on rush great Italian," Cruz says walking around the counter once again. "Tots remember to give this to your teacher it's important." He hands her a filled-out excusal form. To get her the day before his wedding off. He's getting married on a Saturday but he wants her to spend one last full shift at the firehouse before everything at home changes.

"Yup."

"I'd do Gibson's best steak in the city and that's saying something. " Foster says going to the counter.

"There's also Swift & Sons I love that place. " Brett shrugs.

"Oh guys we have to hit the road or we're gonna be late for shift and school." Cruz says putting his backpack on. Tatiana does the same before making sure to pick the excusal form back up. Brett stands up grabbing her bag as she does so.

"Well thank you guys for the coffee and the advice."

"Of course." Brett smiles handing her mom her jacket. Tatia follows Cruz to the door to slide her sneakers on.

"Don't do Alfonzo's Cruz as really wonky taste in fine dining." Foster teases walking backward toward the door.

"Hey, I heard that!"

"What? " Foster laughs as she walks out the door.

"She's not wrong." Tatia giggles as she follows the other women out of the apartment.

---Later At school---

Like most kids, recess is Tatiana's favorite part of the school day. It's one of the few times of the day she sees Annabelle. Tatiana sits on top of the monkey bars Kenny was at the bottom trying to climb up and Annabelle went to the water fountain.

"Here move I'll help you up," Tatiana says directing him out of the way. He moves and she goes to jump down. She lands but loses her balance falling forward onto her hands and knees. Her left arm lets out with a crack. She lets out a scream that stops everyone on the playground. A teacher runs over and flips her over on her back before looking at her arm that was bent weirdly. Luckily there was not a bone sticking out of it.

"Go get the nurse!" She shoos Kenny who had been staring at her arm back to class. Annabelle tries to run over but teachers were already dragging the other kids inside for early lunch.

The nurse makes it outside just minutes later. She decides the best option is to call Cruz and get her to a hospital. So she calls an ambulance while the teacher calls Cruz. The vice principal waits at the front of the school for them.