Chapter 15: The First Letter

Tatiana sat on the couch leaning on Mouch. She was looking at the tv but not fully paying attention to the hockey game that was playing. Mouch had his arm around her shoulder but had his full attention on the game. Tati had nothing else to do tonight, she had no homework, 61 was going on nonstop calls, Cruz was busy making calls and stuff for the wedding, and she had forgotten to bring her switch. She didn't really want to bother anyone else though. There were a lot of thoughts like that going around. How much she bothered them. If she should even be allowed at the firehouse or if they actually like her and considered her family like she did them. Maybe it's Trish's fault for the words she said causing this insecurity or her own thoughts.

She didn't care where the insecurities came from they are there now. She wished her dad was around she's felt out of place ever since his death. Like a burden, the little orphan who depends on a firehouse for everything. She felt like she was in the way of everything.

"Hey, you okay?" Mouch asks looking down at her.

"Yeah."

"Tatiana I know when somethings wrong what's up?"

"It doesn't matter," Tatia says shrugging.

"I'm not going to force you but you can talk to me about anything whenever you need to." Mouch tells her squeezing her into his side.

"I know"

"Good." He smiles and looks back at the tv. She looks up at him but doesn't say anything.

–––A couple of days later–––

Stuff at the firehouse was crazy. Roman showed up that night, Kelly went on a chase with him trying to find Sean's sister. Not that Tatia knew that she just know she saw Sean walk through the firehouse. Tatiana didn't come to shift with Cruz today. He was confused though since she usually had a hard time sleeping with him on shift and not on the bed next to him. Mouch noticed immediately when she didn't run in at 3:30 like she normally did.

"Hey Cruz where is Tots?" Mouch asked coming over to the squad table.

"She said she didn't want to come, she wanted to go to her grandma's instead. I haven't brought her over there as much as I should so tonight should be good for her."

"Okay. Uh, how's that bully situation going?" Mouch asks him.

"She got put into a new class and hasn't said anything about those girls still bothering her," Joe says looking at the older man. "Why did she say something to you?"

"No. She was just off last shift, she probably just missed her grandma." Mouch assures despite not believing it himself.

"Okay. Let me know if she tells you anything."

"Of course. Hey, tomorrow do you guys have plans? I could take her out so you have time to work on wedding stuff." Mouch offers.

"Yeah that'd be great I feel bad but I've been so stressed with the wedding I haven't been able to do anything fun with Tati mostly just hanging out at Chloe's with Chloe and her parents."

"Okay, I'll pick her up from school tomorrow," Mouch says before walking back inside.

He's not sure what his plan is. He wants to make sure Tatiana is okay but at the same time, he knows forcing her to open up won't help. He needs to find a way to cheer her up and make her feel able to open up to him. He spent most of shift and the next day thinking over his plan. He figured this had to be something to do with her dad. So he made a plan and if it doesn't work they're going to get donuts. He sat in his car looking at the school where kids were running from it. He sees Tatia walking out with her head down as two girls followed her saying something. He couldn't tell what it was though. Tatiana noticed his car and started running to him. She swung the door open and tossed her bag in before climbing in.