Life Goes On

December 1999

Before becoming the Traveler, lying was a hard thing for Tesla to do. She hardly ever saw a good reason to lie to people; it never felt necessary. Now, after all the things she's seen and done, lying becomes the only sane thing to do in order to keep everyone's heads on straight. For instance, when Kimberly Adams asks Tesla if, just hours before Kimberly's wedding, she's doing okay because she seems off. Tesla Edison lies, because this is Kimberly and Dan's day. This is not the time for Tesla to share potentially life-altering information. Kimberly stares worriedly at Tesla from the chair in front of the vanity mirror.

"Tessie," she calls. She raises an eyebrow at her younger friend once she looks at Kimberly. "What's going on?"

Tesla huffs. Her long emerald green dress swings at her ankles. "This has nothing to do with the wedding, okay? I promise. It is my own personal thing that I'm going to deal with, and I don't want you to worry."

A crease appears on Kimberly's forehead as the woman stares at her friend. "I'm going to worry if you don't tell me what's going on."

"I'm pregnant," Tesla blurts out.

"You're pregnant?" Tesla and Kimberly both look over at Betty, who has arrived in the doorway of the room. She is also one of Kimberly's bridesmaids, wearing a matching emerald green dress with Tesla. Betty is holding three sets of white flower bouquets. She gently sets them on the table where a scattering of hair pieces, make-up, and jewelry sits. "How far along are you?"

"A month or so," says Tesla, swallowing hard. She wasn't planning on telling Betty. "I haven't said anything to anyone yet. Not even Bruce, please don't tell anyone."

Sighing, Kimberly takes Tesla's hand, squeezing it. "Don't worry, Tessie. It'll all be okay."

"I—I know. Let's just get you married first, okay, Kimmy?"

The ceremony for Kimberly and Dan was wonderful and everything went on without a hitch. Kimberly and Dan shared their vows. Tesla and Dan's brother gave their maid of honor and best man speeches. There was a first dance, and a throwing of the bouquet, which was caught by Lacy. Lacy had a good laugh about that, as she was currently single. The way that she and Stephen Strange are talking throughout the night, makes Tesla question if that would last for very long. The newlyweds seem incredibly grateful that everything is going so well. Tesla almost forgot all about the big secret she is carrying around. She looks around, spotting her mother at a table with Kimberly's parents. At least Tesla never has to worry about raising the child alone. She knows that Bruce will drop anything and everything for Tesla; he already has on countless different occasions. Tesla admires her mother more and more for what she did.

The idea of telling Elsa pops into Tesla's head. After checking on the food and refreshments, Tesla slowly begins to wander to her mother. A hand reaches for her own and spins her around playfully. "Hiya, darling."

"Bruce," Tesla smiles back at him.

"I love you," he whispers against her cheek. She can smell the slight scent of alcohol and cherries, but it doesn't bother her. Bruce is always responsible and respectful of his behavior.

"I love you, too."

Pulling gently on her arm, Bruce turns towards the dance floor. "Come dance with me?"

They make their way onto the floor, and dance to the song that isn't necessarily a slow song. Tesla places an arm around Bruce's shoulder as he puts his hand softly on her waist. They sway carefully and she puts her head on his shoulder. Bruce's chin rests on her head, and she can feel his breath on her hair. It's a sweet moment that Tesla wishes to stay in forever. Maybe one day she'll Travel back to this moment, and dance with Bruce until her legs can no longer hold her up. The song fades into a slower song, and people pair up, dancing to the rhythm of this new song. Kimberly and Dan have taken the floor as well. People move around the two of them effortlessly. This is their moment, but for Tesla this also feels like her moment. A moment before she has to share with Bruce a tiny little detail that will change their lives forever.