The Scar

_ _ _

Sitting in the hospital waiting for news is the worst feeling for Bruce; having to sit and wait for some sort of news—whether it is good or bad. He doesn't speak Slovak either, so trying to get answers out of nurses or doctors walking by is useless. Nick comes in and out of the waiting room; while he can speak the native language, it still doesn't get him very far in answers. The old man's constant pacing around the hall makes Bruce even worse, to the point where he has to leave.

The shuffling of patients, passersby, and staff helps Bruce focus on his feet instead of on the awaiting doom that forces itself into his head. However, when his feet come to a stop at the end of a corridor, everything changes again.

"What're you here for?" someone asks behind Bruce.

He turns, startled. A woman, wearing hospital scrubs in the color purple, gives him a tentative smile. Her expression is calm and her hands hang at her sides in a non-threatening way. Her dirty-blond hair is pinned away from her face, but after a long shift it is starting to come loose.

"You speak English?" he wonders, not answering her question first.

"I believe so," she teases, giving him another warm smile. Bruce relaxes slightly. The idea that he can in a time like this surprises him. This nurse is good at her job. "So," she continues. "What are you here for?"

Bruce hesitates, stuck in a conflict with himself. Does he tell her? What could she possibly do? Bruce mentally smacks himself. She speaks English. He can ask her to check on Tesla. Or at least tell him some news.

"My friend. She's been in an accident. Actually...I haven't been able to get any information on how she's doing. Language boundaries. I think you understand."

The nurse gives him an amused look. "Well, lucky you ran into just about the only staff member that speaks English here."

Bruce tilts his head. "You found me," he replies.

"Yeah. Hard not to spot an American in a place like this," she laughs. Her tennis shoes squeak on the tile a bit as she turns to lead Bruce back to where he came. "Come on. I'll help you, but I need a name."

"Bruce," he offers, moving after her.

"Not yours, silly. The patient's," she corrects, laughing again.

Bruce feels his face heat up. Of course. "Tesla Edison," he states, his voice a little raw now. Saying her name brings on too many emotions. His expressions go slack, and his hands twitch, remembering the blood—her blood—on his hands only hours ago. It took a lot of soap and water to get it all off. If this nurse gives him the bad news, what will he do? Bruce is in a different country, on a different continent, with no idea on what steps he'll have to take if she does...

Dr. Curie will have to go back to a lonely life. There will be no Traveler that needs Watching, and no missions to go on. He'll have an easy way out, though. He won't have to go back to the United States and tell Tesla's friends and family that she's gone. Dr. Curie won't have to look at Elsa Edison and let her know that she outlived her entire family. He won't have to watch as Kimberly and Betty crumble and sob as they find out that their quiet, young, genius of a friend is gone for good. Dr. Curie won't have to swallow his pride, and live with the guilt of knowing that Stephen Strange is going to hate his very being for the rest of his life because he let Tesla Edison die on his watch.

Bruce blinks, trying to push away the nagging feelings swarming inside him. He stuffs his fists into his jacket pockets, shooting the nurse a painful look. She gives him a knowing one in response: she's seen this before. She understands what he's going through, but she's not going to pity him.